View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeardyInTheHous
New Member!
Male 

16-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Training to bark to go out not working...

Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I have a 9 month old Standard Schnauzer (got her from a reputable breeder at 8 weeks) who has been through puppy classes and Level 1 obedience classes. She has some issues, but that's for another thread. Our big problem is that we have trained her to give one sharp bark when she wants to go out (especially to relieve herself in our fenced in backyard), which she'll do just fine except when she needs to relieve herself.

In other words, she'll bark to go chase a chipmunk, but not to poo or pee. What she does is pace back and forth, whine a bit, sit at the door, get up, pace some more, occasionally jump on the door, pace some more, etc. She will not do anything loud enough to let us know she has to go. If we're not right there watching her all the time, she would go on the floor. She did this for our kids when my wife and I were out on Sunday (first "accident" in 6 weeks). They weren't watching closely and she didn't tell them, and we walked in the door to find a pile on the floor (which apparently just happened).

Again, she'll bark to go out for other reasons, but not to do her business.

Suggestions? Thanks!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I would suggest that you keep taking her out every 2 hours or so and go to the same spot and tell her to be a clever girl or another phrase. I know that you are not asking for housetraining tips but imo that is the only way to get a dog to be solid in their housetraining. Some dogs never ask if they can get out and I think it is asking too much to expect them to. At that age she still needs guidance.