Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2007, 07:10 AM

Licking dust and gravel along the road

Over the last couple of weeks Poppy has started to lick/eat the dust, grit and gravel along the streets when we take her for a walk. Given the opportunity she would stand for ages just eating the dust and grit. Yesterday she went all round the garden eating bits grit, fine gravel and street dust.

When we get back from walking her, her mouth is covered in gritty dribble

Could she be lacking in something in her diet? She's fed James Welbeloved Turkey and Rice.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Check the colour of her gums are they a nice healthy pink or do they look grey or white coloured.
I am only saying this as my little dog is suffering from anemia and he was doing similar.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Sounds like she is getting something that she needs from the gravel.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Ours Cavs do some funny things at times dont they ? Would it be anything to do with those little gnats ? loads about at the mo .
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Check the colour of her gums are they a nice healthy pink or do they look grey or white coloured.
I am only saying this as my little dog is suffering from anemia and he was doing similar.
Her gums look fine. I don't think its anything to do with gnats, as there aren't any flying that low in our garden or when we're out walking. But you can even feel the grit and gravel in her poo through the poo bag. Consequently all the licking of the dirt is making her mouth dry and she's drinking more too.

Think I'll give the vets a call and make an appointment.
kazaroo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2007, 11:17 AM
This is called "Pica" the gravel or grass or whatever the dog eats is to make up for a lack of key minerals or components in the diet try feeding something like a well being tonic or powder in the food on the advice of your Vet....

People do it; especially preggers ones...

coal
paper
chalk
charcoal
wax
plastic

and not so nice things also if you do find dog is eating feaces try feeding dried pineapple in diet....it contains an enzyme which stops them "picking up" Rubbish....
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by kazaroo View Post
This is called "Pica" the gravel or grass or whatever the dog eats is to make up for a lack of key minerals or components in the diet try feeding something like a well being tonic or powder in the food on the advice of your Vet....

People do it; especially preggers ones...

coal
paper
chalk
charcoal
wax
plastic

and not so nice things also if you do find dog is eating feaces try feeding dried pineapple in diet....it contains an enzyme which stops them "picking up" Rubbish....

Thanks for this. I've made an appointment for Monday, so I'll see what the vet says. She's been through a phase of this before but only lasted a day or 2.

Do I get the dried pineapple from a health food shop or supermaket? Can I use the dried pineapple we'd eat or is it a special dog one?
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2007, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=kazaroo;965155]This is called "Pica" the gravel or grass or whatever the dog eats is to make up for a lack of key minerals or componentsQUOTE]

Right, I've just done a search on "Pica" and some websites are suggesting it can be caused by something psychological. We moved house last Wednesday, and for the last couple of weeks we've been a bit up in the air with packing etc - could this be a cause of it?

We tried to keep things as normal as possible for Poppy and she seems to have settled well into the new house, knows where the door is to go out to the toilet etc, seems happy enough in her bed, eat and drinking OK, playing. But maybe she's not quite settled yet?

I'm wondering now as well that maybe the move meant more to her than we thought, as last time there was packing etc going on, OH moved out and she's not seen him since, could she be thinking that maybe me or mum will go and not come back or am I now reading too much into it?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 12:23 PM
SA37, it has every vitamin and mineral your dog might need, it sounds very much like she's lacking something in her diet. Hope it stops.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
SA37, it has every vitamin and mineral your dog might need, it sounds very much like she's lacking something in her diet. Hope it stops.
Thanks. Where do I get it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >