Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Flash's Recovery

Hi yall! First, thank you all so very much for your prayers, crossed fingers/paws and kind thoughts through this whole ordeal. It has helped me get through the stress of it so much.

Flash had surgery for his ruptured disc last Wed. Dec 5. Everything went smoothly and basically should be able to lead a normal healthy life!! He has some recovery to do, however, in the meantime.

He has a long incision in his chest that is healing nicely. They had to shave that area to do the surgery and I never realized how much a dogs fur warms his body! That bald spot is so cold compared to the rest of his body! He wants to run around and jump on the couch and be "normal" so badly, but we still have a while before he can do that. Right now his "therapy" is 10-15 min walks, hard surface, no steps or hills. We will do this for a week. Then he will be able to go on 15-30 min walks with small steps and hills, in grass (if its available. It's winter here in IL and a little cold/rainy).

Our local Dr. called to check on Flash and let us know that he may not be 100% back to full health within the 6 weeks, that sometimes it will take longer for him to gain his strength back. It's hard to remember he was laid up for almost 2 months, where he laid around most of the time without much physical play or activity. We have exercises we will need to do for 6 months to help him gain his strength in his legs back, as well as get his balance back.

Over all, it was worth taking him to the University to get looked at. It was worth the money and stress. We have Flash's spirit back, his bright eyes and floppy ears. We're working on his physical energy and once we get that back, we will have a whole Flash again, and I can't wait! Nothing brings joy to my heart more than to see Flash in the hallway, head high, ears perked, listening for Nick to come in the house. Then to see him bound off with his tail beating back and forth a hundred miles a second....my cup runneth over. It reminds me of how truly blessed I am to have such a companion in my life.

Thanks again, yall, for your support. It is the kindest most priceless gift.

-Sheri
mollyh
New Member!
Male 

25-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Thats really good news, non doggy people just don't understand how much you love the dog. Money is only money, love is for ever! I've added Flash to my prayer list.
Cheers john H.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Brilliant news, so pleased he is over his op, and on the road to recovery........
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-12-2012, 01:27 AM
That's excellent news Sheri, I hope 2013 will see Flash back to full health. Hope you get a chance to post some photos of him as well.
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2012, 02:25 AM
UPDATE:

Lets just say that Flash is up to his old tricks. He is back to his old playful self, getting into mischief and running around like a madman!! It was wonderful to have him back to normal on Christmas. We couldn't be more grateful the prayers and thoughts from yall during this. Thank you so much!