View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I think that is due to lack of imagination of the trainers!

Training is a journey, so when I took classes regularly, I used to ask those present what they wanted to learn, and also have lots of fun things to do for those who had no interest in competing in any discipline; fun but useful such as shutting doors, getting drinks out of the fridge, emptying washing machines etc.

The list is endless but many people get stuck in a rut and I think that is why people do not maintain going to classes (although some come for social and everyone has different requirements)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I used to teach a class where there was this stonking miniature poodle, I was so taken with it I would have loved to have taken it home and trained it for Working Trials.

He was brill at everything (eventually) however I could not put him forward for the Silver because he would not have been safe to be examined by a stranger.

Shame.

However, IMV if you have attended the training classes and you understand the exercises and why they have been set, it does two things.

1 it provides a structure for training a pet dog
2 it provides dog owners with information for when they get their next dog

So yes it is a shame that your dog could not attain the Good Citizens Awards, but you can only do the best you can with the material you have.

But, after all, training can be an end in itself as well!

Kez is the same...she can do most exercises, she is even controllable around other dogs. But she will not let a stranger touch her (not without being properly introduced over a period of days and loads of treats...not sure the KC would allow that!)
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:28 AM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/acti...d_citizen.html

This link explains what is needed for each stage:

Puppy foundation
Bronze
Silver
Gold

In France you could take the BH in Schutzhund which is the same sort of thing.

We also have Temperament Tests in the UK which are based on the BH, and were devised by the Rottweiler Club for breeding stock some years back when Rotties were in the news a lot. These cannot be trained for.
Thanks SB looks interesting, I will ask at my dog school about the BH
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Tookone of my pups 2 attempts to pass his bronze because of the stay, he was getting stressy because other people gave a 'wait' command to their dog and I gave him a 'stay' command and he kept looking at them then at me and just couldn't cope, bless!!!!

My son is about to start a 6 week Bronze course with the cosmic one...Cosmo can do a minute down stay no probs...for me...will be interesting if he will do it for my son. They do have a fab relationship though so I am more than hopeful and the trainers are second to none
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Lilly passed her bronze with no problems, all but one passed in our class (although a couple dropped out before test knowing that they could not pass), the one that failed failed on the stay.

We have been going to a silver club and she is really good but recently I've been concerned over some of the methods my club has started using (on other dogs, not lilly). Water sprays on a GSD who was incredibly jumpy, Walking dogs until they can barely move before training starts, and shaker cans. I've been going for 2 years with same trainer and only seen this in the last couple of weeks. I'm currently looking for a different club, but they dont seem to be many in the north east
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I think the good citizen scheme is a great idea. Tilly has passed bronze, silver and gold. We did have to put a lot of work in with the gold though. The dog has to be sent away to settle and Tilly wasnt keen on the idea of being told to go to bed while the sun was still out!! Funnily enough, the stays are the easy part for us. Thats the one thing she's always done really well. In 4 years of obedience shows, she's only broken her stay once and that was in torrential rain when she got up and went and sat under the judges table. Cant say I blame her!
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:20 AM
With much pride here is Alba's bronze and silver awards, she is 7 months old

http://www.wolflookalike.com/awards.html

We stayed on to watch the dogs go for gold, unfortunately none of them got it, all on the emergency stop which is a crying shame as they all do it perfect in class.

Many of the dogs failed the bronze and silver too, the examiner was strict about what is required and quite rightly so or what's the point of doing it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:14 AM
We have been going to a silver club and she is really good but recently I've been concerned over some of the methods my club has started using (on other dogs, not lilly). Water sprays on a GSD who was incredibly jumpy, Walking dogs until they can barely move before training starts, and shaker cans. I've been going for 2 years with same trainer and only seen this in the last couple of weeks. I'm currently looking for a different club, but they dont seem to be many in the north east

If you have an issue with a KC registered club then you can report it/them to the KC and they will follow it up.

Most reputable clubs would not use water sprays or shaker/rattle cans for the MAIN reason that the effects of these a) can affect the rest of the attendees and b) may have consquences in the individuals that have not been thought of.

You have to remember, that although a club can be KC registered and has to abide by their rules; none of the trainers need to be skilled, knowledgeable, trained or experienced.

Have you looked here for a list of clubs in your area?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2620
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I think that is due to lack of imagination of the trainers!

Training is a journey, so when I took classes regularly, I used to ask those present what they wanted to learn, and also have lots of fun things to do for those who had no interest in competing in any discipline; fun but useful such as shutting doors, getting drinks out of the fridge, emptying washing machines etc.

The list is endless but many people get stuck in a rut and I think that is why people do not maintain going to classes (although some come for social and everyone has different requirements)
You wanna start classes in my area? The one good class is now full up and the other classes I have looked at I have been v unhappy with - people using corrector spray and water bottles in the class, the trainer snatching stressed dogs away and pulling them into the middle of the class to 'deal with their problems' (flooding) afraid I had to give up going to classes
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:28 AM

If you have an issue with a KC registered club then you can report it/them to the KC and they will follow it up.

Most reputable clubs would not use water sprays or shaker/rattle cans for the MAIN reason that the effects of these a) can affect the rest of the attendees and b) may have consquences in the individuals that have not been thought of.

You have to remember, that although a club can be KC registered and has to abide by their rules; none of the trainers need to be skilled, knowledgeable, trained or experienced.

Have you looked here for a list of clubs in your area?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2620
I had just looked on the KC site before I put the post and have emailed another club in my area for details. The Place I go is a nationwide chain where they are like a one stop shop for all things pet related, grooming, boarding etc. I've always been really happy, and my dog has gone there for grooming and trainin and day care. Corrector sprays are another thing I've seen used in the last couple of weeks. Mostly they use positive techniques, that's all I've ever used with Lilly (with the exception of very early on when I bought a corrector spray which I used once and ever again).

I would also love to try to et her to the stage when she can do competitive ability and this club does not do this
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >