View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Watch to see if i think it's going to be friendly (should leave her then), i keep her right next to me, if things it doesn't stop following i either:
- Turn around and walk to other way (if it's not aggressive as many dogs won't go as far from home) or
- i know i shouldn't but i get inbetween, my medical cares free, my dogs not

this is why i don't walk away from roads so it very rarely happens
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Oh the times I've had this problem, even stepped in with my leg and got bitten myself once it's so scarey sometimes you just don't know what to do do you.

Anyhoo, a very strange thing has been happening lately, because I now ALWAYS put Zena onlead when I see any dog approaching be it aggressive looking or otherwise, owner with it or out of sight, and all the dogs we have met who have gone to come charging over to us, now stop a few yards away, size up the situation, and then turn around and walk or run off How weird is that, when they used to just come barging up to us! Is it ME, or is it Zena giving off the "p*ss off" vibes??! I've always put Zena in a sit, facing the situation, but with me slightly in front, and we both just stop and stare at oncoming dog, but it seems to be working!

Yesterday, however, a young boistrous spaniel puppy came running straight up to her onlead, I didn't have time to put her in her sit or get in front of her, but she adored it, tail swishing and she wanted to play with it as it jumped up to kiss her, so sweet, but I kept her onlead and walked away pushing my bike with the other hand (quite difficult at times) and she then ignored it. I have to say, since getting the bike out again, I do feel a lot safer, coz of course, when I get off the bike for situations like this, I can always stuff the front wheel between offending dog and Zena (and me of course!).

Try what I've been doing and see if the other dog changes its mind, it's quite uncanny what's happening here.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 07:37 PM
LOL - that is what I call 'giving the evils'. Polo gives a very good hard stare that can work on its own. If it doesn't work he then reacts with his shouting episodes.

I once put myself in front of our shepherd after a cocker spaniel launched itself at her. The cocker then growled threatenly at me!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I'll use my pet corrector spray if a dog charges at Cherry. She doesn't like large dogs that are unfamiliar to her whether they are friendly or otherwise. If someone is over the other side of the field and can't control their dog then why should my dog be stressed and feel forced into a situation where she feels she has to "kick off"?

Cherry is partially sighted now so can't read other dogs very well and has been previously attacked by a large dog. She is fine with small dogs and puppies and dogs she already knows.

People who let their dogs charge at my dog who is on a lead really make my blood boil! Usually Staffy owners where we live unfortunately.

If my husband is out with us he will body block the dog from Cherry.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Ooh I'll try the sit n stare trick

I get him to sit and wait when I throw a ball for Kiz as he tends to try and join in and barges into her

I've been racking my brains as to why he does it and looking back he's always been a bit antsy with excitement even when I get excited he goes completley OTT and jumps on Kiara.

Towards the end of last year my Poppy got attacked by two alsations Where we used to walk was an old coal mine that had been made into a nature reserve with fenced off wooded areas as some deer had moved in

These two dogs (which are known to police and warden for being unruly and allowed and encouraged to go into the fenced off areas to chase the deer!!) jumped over the fence and went straight for her, luckily she's a terrier and is really quick so they never got a proper hold on her but as she made her way back to me I slipped a lead on Bailey and went forward to grab Poppy and Bailey suddenly lunged pulled me over and dragged me over to the 2 alsations, he grabbed one of them by the shoulder and threw it on the ground then pinned it down by the throat ! Luckily the other alsation backed off. I picked up Poppy then started trying to drag Bailey off the alsation. The owner appeared and grabbed her other dog. I managed to calm Bailey down enough to let go, there was noblood just a lot of slaver and spit!!

I wonder if now he's thinking attack is the best form of defence??
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Had an incident with a stupid owner this morning. He was off lead in an empty park. I was watching the gate and a man with two jack russels came up and Cain ran over to the fence. The two dogs flee at the fence, barking, snarling, snapping, it was actually quite scary. I shouted "Wait" but the man kept coming. I shouted again and he heard me, I asked him to wait while I put my dog on a lead. I couldn't believe he was just going to march in depite Cains hackles being up (very unusual, he must have felt threatened) and with his two kicking up such a stink! So while I got the lead and put it on, he stood right next to the gate and let his two continue to aggressive, quite severly, through the fence. Would it take a brain cell to step back a few feet? Cain looked a bit gobsmacked and didn't really react back thankfully, but I seemed to be the o ly owner concerned by the altercation.

Anyway in answer to the question I use my dog trainers mantra "if in doubt, get him out". If I see a dog I don't want to meet, I simply wheel him around (he's always on lead) and march the other way. Cains aggression is partially fear based and his behaviour has improved since he trusts me to control the situation.

I have had little dogs snapping around our feet, dogs trying hump Cains back, I've been circled by a group of aggressive labradors. Every time, just walk away. Grab the dog and walk, walk, walk! Occassionally while yelling at the other dog owner to get their dog. They tend to get annoyed that I won't stand still so they can grab their dog, but if I stop I don't know what will happen so it's safer to walk. And quite frankly it's not my problem if they can't recall their dog, they just have to run a bit faster Walk away, always walk away. They only time we've ever had a problem/scrap had been when Cain is standing still, he can't kick off if he's walking. I do everything I can to avoid a confrontation and not let him practise his bad behaviour.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I do exactly the same as Moons Mum. My dog isn't dog aggressive as such so is trained to ignore dogs but because she is fear aggressive i can't let them in her face so i will turn and walk and carry on doing so until i get rid of the dog.
I had this situation on our walk today and my husband kept telling me not to panic I wasn't panicking i was turning because otherwise i would of walked her straight into the face of the offlead dogs which were trying to get in her face and i could feel a low growl through the lead. Men have no idea
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Teaching them to sit and wait, or stand behind you is helpful. If not attaching the lead to something while you grab a friendly dogs collar and return it to the owner while explaining about local clubs that could help with recall issues can be good.

Normally Cookie is off lead in open areas playing with random dogs that he finds off lead, but if he is on lead and a big dog comes over it can cause an issue. Little dogs don't get much of a raise out of him, and he has been nipped/bitten a few times on his face/neck and legs, but just wiggles and looks like 'what are you doing?' These have never been hard bites, only once drawing blood, and that wasn't deep. I do try to 'move' them with my foot but Cookie is very reactive to me. I know if I shout or act aggressive he would just attack the dog, as I have done it in the past.
If it is big Cookie can react quite badly, think he can sense I'm nervous as I worry that it might attack him as most bigger dogs have in the past. He doesn't have the best manners and tries to mount most large dogs. I try keep the lead loose. Wait until they sniff him and unclip him while he isn't pulling or in a stay position, then I hope he will calmly deal with the situation. If he is in a stay when I release him he just flys at it and body bashes it, which always ends with him growling and mouthing it.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Had an incident with a stupid owner this morning. He was off lead in an empty park. I was watching the gate and a man with two jack russels came up and Cain ran over to the fence. The two dogs flee at the fence, barking, snarling, snapping, it was actually quite scary. I shouted "Wait" but the man kept coming. I shouted again and he heard me, I asked him to wait while I put my dog on a lead. I couldn't believe he was just going to march in depite Cains hackles being up (very unusual, he must have felt threatened) and with his two kicking up such a stink! So while I got the lead and put it on, he stood right next to the gate and let his two continue to aggressive, quite severly, through the fence. Would it take a brain cell to step back a few feet? Cain looked a bit gobsmacked and didn't really react back thankfully, but I seemed to be the o ly owner concerned by the altercation.

Anyway in answer to the question I use my dog trainers mantra "if in doubt, get him out". If I see a dog I don't want to meet, I simply wheel him around (he's always on lead) and march the other way. Cains aggression is partially fear based and his behaviour has improved since he trusts me to control the situation.

I have had little dogs snapping around our feet, dogs trying hump Cains back, I've been circled by a group of aggressive labradors. Every time, just walk away. Grab the dog and walk, walk, walk! Occassionally while yelling at the other dog owner to get their dog. They tend to get annoyed that I won't stand still so they can grab their dog, but if I stop I don't know what will happen so it's safer to walk. And quite frankly it's not my problem if they can't recall their dog, they just have to run a bit faster Walk away, always walk away. They only time we've ever had a problem/scrap had been when Cain is standing still, he can't kick off if he's walking. I do everything I can to avoid a confrontation and not let him practise his bad behaviour.
I like your mantra

With regard to the gate situation. Some people just don't have a clue. I always hang back from gateways if other dog walkers are approaching them even with good-natured dogs as these are typical areas which can cause problems.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Phil can be grumpy sometimes and ours are always on lead so this is a situation we come accross alot. If i hear "its ok he's friendly" one more time... I generally reply with sorry but one of mine isnt which is why they are on lead...

We had a yorkie run at us full speed once when i was out and no sign of the owner... the little dog was very aggressive but luckily due to its miniture size i think our dogs were more confused than anything! Paris managed to slip her collar in the fuss then just stood there looking at me like 'oh i'm unattached what happens now??'
A little boy then appeared and apologised, no sign of parents...

I generally agree that keeping a loose lead and trying to appear non aggressive to approaching dog seems to work. i also slowly walk in the opposite direction sometimes as i can let the other dog sniff my dogs without fear of Phil snapping at them (its a long way from his bottom to his head!)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2