View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Barking at television actors - animals!!

For the past few weeks now Jake has been barking at dogs, cats sometimes other animals on the television. He barks at the Koala Bear advertising toilet tissue (he's a cartoon if you don't know it). He barks at the British Gas dog (also a silly cartoon) too. We tried ignoring it-to no avail. If I realise something is coming up then I say 'no' but often he just can't seem to stop himself and he barks very low without opening his mouth. Any ideas what I can do to stop this? We have tried the usual things but don't seem to be getting anywhere.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I would put him outside when he starts wuffing. He'll hopefully learn that if he wants to stay with you he needs to keep quiet?

Parker likes to wuff when he sees horses on tv. When I sit down to watch "The adventures of Sherlock Holmes" I ask Jamie to take Parker into the study with him so I can watch it in peace!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I would put him outside when he starts wuffing. He'll hopefully learn that if he wants to stay with you he needs to keep quiet?

Parker likes to wuff when he sees horses on tv. When I sit down to watch "The adventures of Sherlock Holmes" I ask Jamie to take Parker into the study with him so I can watch it in peace!
Yes, I will try that although to be honest by the time I've got around to getting the door open and him out the moment will have passed! lol
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Could you mute the adverts?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Could you mute the adverts?
They don't have to bark or make any noises he just sees the animals and kicks off. I've been watching some of my friend's vids on Utube featuring her new pup and he looks over and spots what's going on and starts giving it full chat.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Tilly has certain adverts that set her off. She will quieten down when told but still does the closed mouth oof!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Tilly has certain adverts that set her off. She will quieten down when told but still does the closed mouth oof!
Lol although I don't let him know I have to have a little smile when he does the closed mouth groanings and gruntings as in 'I know I'm not supposed to do this but I JUST HAVE to do something, perhaps they won't notice'.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm very familiar with this, but due to so many people in the house hold and so much inconsistency we have not been able to fix it.
My lad doesn't bark, he's not much of a barker, he just whines, and whines and whines while something is on the tv. If it's something really really interesting he has been known to run at the tv growling and knock it over.
It is something that started with him looking at the tv and cocking his head when a dog was on. Which we found funny and laughed at. Now it has spread to cartoons, cats, elephants, tigers/lions and bears are really bad. What is worst is before I used to watch animal planet or Nat Geo when ever I had spare time. Now to do that I have to shut him out, or have him on a lead with treats to try desensitise him, never relaxing either way. The desensitising works for a while, until someone else messes it up, then back to square one.
What I do is wait for something to come on, mute/pause it (we have skyHD) and when he settles down/or acts calm from the start he gets a treat thrown on the floor. We can watch a 30 min programme in about 40 mins now, but I don't really get chance to focus on it.