Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:17 PM

Yes! Caught the postman!!

He normally comes when I'm on the loo

I caught the postie today (waited outside til he had been!) and asked him to help me tame the psycho bitch.

He didn't seem to impressed by my gift of a tube of primula but went along with it and fed Takara the cheese paste through the gate - she took it and calmed down a little bit but she was still a bit wound up.

I thanked him and he agreed to feed her a treat every time he delivered the post if I left them outside for him.

As soon as he went on his way I grabbed T's lead, linked her up and took her across the road to watch him finish his deliveries from a safe distance. Did a lot of click, treating and in no time at all really she was stood watching him calmly with no noise

It's going to take a bit of work but she's so responsive I think she'll crack it pretty quick!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:31 PM
That's the way to do it! Our postie is a staffy owner and he loves dogs, so he was only too pleased to help when we were training Missy the same.

I'm sure Takara will be just grand. x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:34 PM
My postie was not so helpful when we were going through a try-to-eat-the-mail and catch-the-fingers phase... Bought an outside letter box and a new door with no letter box in it, to save my post and his fingers!
But your way sounds much better. Good luck with the training, let us know how it goes!
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:40 PM
We never saw our postie just the remnants of the mail he had delivered (little monsters even shredded OH's wages cheque once - not a happy man)!!! Ended up getting an outside box also!!

Good luck with the training though,Lottie!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Magpye,

I thought I'd struck gold yesterday when there was a postie emptying a post box while I was with Takara on a walk.

She wasn't reacting to him at all (think she knew he wasn't a delivery mail man!) so I asked very politely if he could do me a huge favour and just feed her a treat (either from his hand or throw it to her).

He just said 'no. I don't like dogs.'
I was so shocked! I can understand not liking dogs but I was just so shocked! I know it was only a request but I just really thought that he might at the very least throw her a treat - she was showing NO sign of aggression - or even interest - to him at all! And he was just so abrupt!

I just said 'oh. Well I can assure you that the feeling is mutual - come on Takara'.

I'm putting all this effort in to ensure he doesn't get bitten - you'd think he would be willing to help a little bit...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by chaosjoey View Post
We never saw our postie just the remnants of the mail he had delivered (little monsters even shredded OH's wages cheque once - not a happy man)!!! Ended up getting an outside box also!!

Good luck with the training though,Lottie!
Thanks

We ordered an outside box but it hasn't arrived and to be honest, I want to get her out of it should we be in a position where we are without a box at any time...

I'm currently working from home so am lucky enough to have the opportunity to catch the postie!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Lottie, I would have thought all posties would appreciate your efforts to create a postman friendly dog!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah so did I

Clearly not!