Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Some advice and support

I've had my dog over a year now and he has been alot of work. He was rescued from an abusive owner who also neglected to feed him. He was rescued by a boarding kennels and put into their kennels. We heard of him through the grapevine and went and all fell in love with him. We got told that we would get all the help we needed if we ran into problems, however the person only came out once and told us just to yell at him when he did things wrong

But i've worked my way through his problems. He still barks and goes abit loopy when the phone goes and when people come to the door all hell breaks lose. But slowly and i mean slowly we can see an improvement. When i first got him he use to bark at every single dog, now i can walk past most dogs without him needing to bark. He's even off the lead now but i've got to constantly keep my eye and ears open for other dogs, bikes, joggers and men.

When i first got my dog i thought i would have something that is loyal and loves attention and walks would be enjoyable. Walks are enjoyable when he's wanting to behave but having to constantly be on the look out isn't fun. he's also not the most cuddliest dog in the world, but what he's been through i won't expect him to be.

I love him so much and he's my first dog, and i'm sitting here with tears down my face at the moment. As last night he bite me in the cross fire. He's taken a dislike to springer spainels and we have one very close to my house. I took him out last night without his halti, yes i know bad owner, and i saw this dog in question up the lane. I was going to turn around, but i thought no he has to learn. The other dog was off his lead so i got my dog to sit and leave. The dog walked past quite close and my dog started to go into a frenzy barking and wanting to get after him. I stupidly put my hand down to try and reassure him and somehow he managed to get me. Luckily i was wearing a big padded coat so he's not broke the skin, i've got a few nips and peeling skin on my arm and my wirst has swollen up! The minute he did it he realised and dropped my arm. I gave him a smack over the nose and said no and then the tears started, obviously just hte shock kicking in.

I came home and my parents were obviously upset. My dad has said from the beginning we should have got a puppy and trained it our way, instead of taking on other people's mistakes. I'm sitting here in two minds about what to do... i've asked my trainer (who's a behavourist) to come over and have a look at him and see whats he's like when he goes into these frenzies. But maybe my dad is right and i've taken on too much.
The thought of getting another dog that i can enjoy does look appealing but then everything which is wrong with my boy it's not his fault. And being around horses especially neglected and 'problem' horses i realise that things aren't going to change over night....

Sorry for the rant but just needed to get it out
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Poor you. You sound so distraught. It does sound like you have your hands full with him. I'm no real expert on difficult behaviours so cant really offer any advice on something this serious, but maybe there are others about who can..
It sounds as though he didnt really mean to bite you but acted instinctively. I think they all get one chance for that.
You have worked so hard it would be such a shame to give up on him now. Speak to your behaviourist I'm sure they will help you feel more positive about all you have achieved.
I'm so sorry you're having a tough time.. keep the faith...he loves you really
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Big hugs.
You have made an improvement with your boy, so try not to be too despondent. Wait and see what your trainer says.
It sounds like your arm was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was maybe too soon for your dog to be put into that situation. Big hugs to you and to him. I suspect you will work through this as it sounds like you love him very much and that you know he didn't bite you on purpose, it wasn't a frenzied attack on you, it was aimed at the other dog. Hugs.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 01:54 PM
ooh you poor thing.

I have loads of sympathy for you, but no answers I'm afraid.

With regard to the bite, I think you have to think really hard about exactly what happened and why...and whether you still trust the dog.

My 2nd rescue bit me shortly after we took her on - but I wouldn't actually class it as a bite. She was having a very vicious go at my older dog who was not defending himself very well, so I stuck my knee in the way to stop her. Got the timing all wrong - she was already lunging with her mouth open so it was pretty much me putting my knee in her mouth rather than the other way round.

Shortly after (I should say she doesn't go for my other do anymore) I used my arm to pull her off him - she turned aggressively, but as soon as she realised it was me, she stopped. I am therefore confident that despite the early 'bite', she would not intentially harm me and I trust her.

Personally, and I'm sure other people think differently, if I could not trust the dog not to bite me or someone else, I couldn't keep it, no matter how much I loved it. But, if I did trust the dog, even if it was dog aggressive, I would keep it & do all that I could to improve things.

Re the 'trainer' who told you just to shout at him - I'm not sure you will find anyone on Dogsey that will agree with this approach. If you decide that you do trust and want to work with him, why not find another trainer/behaviorist? It might cost a bit of money, but you've already put in so much time, effort and love into this dog, it might well be worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

(PS - 'cuddles' can take a long, long time. We've had our 1st rescue dog 4 years and it has only been in the last 18 months that he has openly come seeking a cuddle - even then, its few & far between. But he does love to be with us, even if he doesn't always want to be touched.)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 06:22 PM
The fact that the dog pulled back as soon as it realised it had hurt you makes me confident it was an accident. Many dog aggressive dogs get completely beside themselves, but if it had meant to it would have carried on attacking you. It does sound though as if you need more professional help & I hope you get it. I know what you mean about the walks. I had one dog aggressive with other dogs & he was worse if I was near him so I dared not go up to him if he did meet another dog off lead. It made for exhausting walks as after a time when I called him back he would scan the horizen first to see why. You sound as though you've worked wonders already. I hope you get the help you need to carry on.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 06:44 PM
It really sounds as though he didn't mean to bite you. Any owner can be bitten by mistake in certain circumstances. It is very hard having a dog aggressive dog - we used to take ours to very quiet areas but it was hard work.

Getting a puppy doesn't mean it will be cuddly - our pup is not the cuddliest of dogs - he likes a stroke but is quite independent compared to some dogs we have had, so getting a young one doesn't guarantee anything. Have you tried dog classes to get him used to other dogs in a controlled environment? He probably loves you to bits and needs more time to adjust.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear all this - you're not a bad owner at all.

My dogs dislikes other dogs too. We've tried since day 1 to get him over this but to no avail.

It doesn't sound as though your dog meant to bite you - but that you inadvertantly got in the way, because he did stop the instant he realised he'd hurt you? It can happen so don't despair.

Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job so take pleasure from that.
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:51 PM
thank you so much for your lovely responses. Feeling alot better now
I've got my trainer coming out on Friday to see him! I really hope he misbehaves so he can see exactly what he's like as he's a sweetheart in class

Thanks so much again