Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 01:06 PM

Frontline combo or Stronghold?

This has probably been asked many times before, so apologies if it has...

What is everyones preference to these two flea treatments?

I usually use Frontline combo, and Georgie is due to be wormed and flea treated this week, so I have got Stronghold for a change.

What do you use? and why?
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 01:19 PM
our vet gave us frontline combo to put on kavik as hes been scratching a bit.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't like Frontline now, as I don't think it works very well anymore, and my vet agrees with me and gave me Stronghold last month. He used to prescribe Advocate, but he says the Stronghold is better nowadays than even that, so that's what I go with.

I also think Frontline can cause itchiness in an already itchy dog, which the others don't seem to do?
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2007, 01:55 PM
i use advantix (sp?) as it treats tics and fleas and otis got tics really badly when he was younger and this really seems to fend off all the little blighters!!

jx
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 03:00 PM
The reason I have asked for Stronghold this month is because Georgie picked up fleas a few months ago, and after using Frontline he still had fleas on him. For some reason I don;t think it worked.

I always use Stronghold on my CKCS and have never had a problem with fleas on her. I like the fact that the Stronghold does ear mites too.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 03:11 PM
personally i use frontline combo and haven had any scratchy side effects (for my girls i mean ) made that sound like dolly uses it for her fleas
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 05:52 PM
When I last used Frontline about 2 years ago, my dogs were coming back from their morning walks in Springtime covered in ticks, and yet they're not supposed to like Frontlined dogs are they. I then got chatting to some people on my walk who were all saying they had stopped using Frontline,and some of the gsd owners had said about the itching? Having an already itchy dog, I then decided to change over thinking it might be aggravating his condition, which I'm sure it was.

I also like Stronghold because of the ear mite protection too, which Frontline doesn't do, only Advocate and Stronghold I think does those? might be wrong here, but that's what I think?
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I have always used Frontline since it came out,but this time my vet recommended the Advocate as it is supposed to do Fleas,worms and ticks all at the same time.I have used this on Ossie and touch wood there has been no problems.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Have used frontline and found it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to. So now both mine get garlic capsules everyday. Friends of mine have done this for years and never had fleas. So hopefully no more fleas and it is not harmful to them.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2007, 07:36 PM
i use frontline plus on ours.
just because it is near on impossible to use the drop form.
they have tablets every month.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >