View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 10:44 PM

does it cause dogs pain to stand on there hind legs??

ok! i was over my sisters tonight & took pup with me, only for half hour and he stayed on my lap, my sister started dancing, so just to join in i got pups teo front paws and moved them about a bit!

my other sister then said she read the other day that doing this causes imense pain to the dog

i was like but his always jumping up, he loves doing 'shake paw' and often does it with both paws and the other day he started doing the 'beg' pose (which were not teaching him as i dont like it!) and his always jumping up to play on his back legs!

is this true? as i feel bad now for making him do this!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I remember something from puppy class about not doing tricks that involved a puppy standing on two legs. We were allowed to teach paw but not the ones which put stress on the rear legs. I`m sure someone will be on that is more knowledgable though. I`m sure
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2007, 10:56 PM
I have heard that aswell but I honestly think it wont do much damage if its only for a few seconds while playing but its not something you want to be doing for long periods and often.. After all in Skyes case it does not bother her when she is up at the kitchen work surfaces for ages walking her way round.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 11:05 PM
i knoe its only for like a split second!! ive seen dogs walk on ther back legs runnin around on tv!

he doesnt seem to mind whens his just running round jumpin up for food!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 11:13 PM
if it was painful i dont think they would do it!

china does occasionally but then gives me the "stop harrassing me" look...
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 02:21 AM
I agree with Alexandra, if it hurt then they wouldn't do it or things like jumping up.

I don't think its a case of it hurting more likely that in the larger breeds its putting unnessarsary strain on the hips.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 02:29 AM
I dont think it's painful, but as Hip Dysplasia can be environmental, it's not wise for any puppy to have any length of strain on their legs, especially their back legs. You wouldnt see it straight away, but later on !
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-12-2007, 02:36 AM
I'd not encourage a pup to do anymore that it does on it's own.

Adult dogs - could be wrong but I'm guessing it does no harm. Think of all the reaching jumping etc they would do in the wild.

Having said that we've 'in-bred' a lot of conditions over the years that might mean certain breeds might not cope so well.

In my own experience - Fingal can walk on his wee stocky muscley back legs. For my own amusement (sad I know) he's done the whole flight of stairs (backwards) on his hind legs without putting his front legs (arms I like to call them) down.

It's his party trick
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Well It isnt painful for flower...as at every opportunity she will stand on her back legs for a dance if im dancing or jumping around!!! hehehe xxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 08:28 AM
As a poodle owner who's dogs spend a lot of time bouncing on 2 legs I wouldn't say it was painful but more likely that a puppy with soft, still growing bones could possibly cause some damage that will not become evident immediately. Hence it is always better to allow free play at their own pace rather than any 'forced' activity.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >