Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Micro Chipping

I have been wanting to get a micro chip for Kira
I have read that they deter people who want to steal dogs and of course it should be easyer to get her back should she ever get lost

Is there any age when it is better to have one fitted ? ,when I spoke to the vet about it when she was getting her 2nd injection at 10weeks he said he could do it then ,but I didnt want to put her through both in the same day at such a young age.

Benji has one ,he prob needed one to be imported
also Is there anything that can go wrong ,I have read that if the dog is too young the chip can move ,Kira is nearly 16 weeks now so I dont think that should be a issue now ?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Star was chipped when she got her 2nd injection. I dont think she even noticed it being put in. I was last checked at 14 months and it was still in the same place.
Annestaff
Supervisor

06-01-2005, 03:18 PM
A friend of mine has started micro chipping and did Minnie for me at about 12 weeks, she told me that the chips that are used now do not move about as they have a special cap which prevents this once inserted.

I once took Harvey to the vet for something and mentioned to the vet about a small l spot on his shoulder. The vet got out his scanning machine and told me it was his chip it had slipped down there.
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

06-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Were having Holly done at 10 weeks with her second jab it dosn't take long and they don't feel a thing.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
AS I have only owned adult rescue dogs I have had mine chipped as adults. Jas was a right crybaby and sulked and Tam was brilliant. She didn't move an inch.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Both mine were chipped as pups when they had their first check ups. If I ever get another dog though I will go for tattooing as its more obvious, if your dog is stolen the only way it can be identified by a chip is if it is scanned but what if somebody just keeps it - a tattoo is much more unique on the inside leg say. Obviously though either is preferable than none, chipping is good if the dog is lost as is tattooing.

Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Did you have yours done always as pups (tatooing)? I suppose at the end of the day nothing is ever 100% like you say if you want to do the best then perhaps go for both. I will definitley consider tatooing for our pup when we get him.

Laura
Annestaff
Supervisor

06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
................and also a tattoo can be covered up by another tattoo or the numbers changed.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Saffy and Max are microchipped. Didnt seem to bother them at all.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
2 of mine are done(at 12 weeks) and the other 2 are going to be done on their next vets visit....pup will be 14 months by then ad Zara about 18 months
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >