View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:16 AM
So are we saying only pedigree breeders are allowed to make money ?
well I was always under the assumption that breeding should only be done to better the breed and not for money-
especially due to the enormous number of rescues out there
( which includes BOTH pedigree and non pedigree)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I simply don't beleive pedigree breeders don't make money, with pedigree pups sometimes £1000 or more someone is making money. I agree about too many dogs being in rescues and would actually support a ban on any breeding for say a period of 2 years or until no dogs were left in rescues. All mine have been rescues of some sort or other both crosses and pedigrees.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:48 AM
I simply don't beleive pedigree breeders don't make money
I,d agree with you
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Julie
I simply don't beleive pedigree breeders don't make money, with pedigree pups sometimes £1000 or more someone is making money. I agree about too many dogs being in rescues and would actually support a ban on any breeding for say a period of 2 years or until no dogs were left in rescues. All mine have been rescues of some sort or other both crosses and pedigrees.
I have a friend who breeds (pedigree) Staffords, only when he needs something for himself mind. Any of the pups left over he gives away to family or places them with friends (free of charge) to utilise back into his breeding programme. He recently had to sell a pup and it went for £200 which is by no means a great amount judging by how much it costs to raise the litter his dogs speak for themselves and he could sell them and make a fortune if he wanted but not everybody is money orientated.

Whilst I dont doubt some breeders do make money there are some who are not blinded by the attraction of money and breed great dogs true to type without selling them on for a fortune.

Laura
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I think we're crossing over into another topic now though as to do breeders make money - will depend on the breeder as Laura has stated -but there are also those that dont bother doing health checks etc that will make money
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm sure your friend is a wonderful person Laura but if they all did that where would people get a dog from ? We are back to crosses and BYBs for the general dog owning public.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Look, I love crosses and I love purebreds

I don't have a problem with crossbreds as long as its not done for money

What I have a problem with is people who have and love Bandogs or maybe another type of crossbreed (I like Bandogs as well!! Not being offensive!! )slagging off Labradoodles, or Cockapoos or Schnoodles or any other type!! And vice versa! If its done for a reason, and its not done for the money then I don't mind! And if its done with care (heath checks, temperment tests, ect.)

I like the look of the Poodle crosses, and they seem to me now to be more healthy than either of the parent breeds. So maybe one day when I'm looking for a larger dog for agility and obedience.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Thought about posting...and then thought better of it!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 01:09 PM
We are all friends here (I hope) and at the end of the day it's just personal opinion we cannot change the way most people breed sadly in some cases. At the end of the day all dogs are precious lets hope 2005 will be a better year for rescues (less dogs in more dogs out) and anyone involved in cruelty gets a dose of their own medicine !
Zion
Dogsey Junior

20-12-2004, 03:44 PM
there is noo acceptable defence for crossbreeding at all....why put together to diffrent breeds and mix diffrent behaviours in dogs, which the diffrent breeds actually were created and breed for for ages?

We have a real bad situation with diffrent crossbreeding over here in sweden....
the biggest prob. are these people who cross pitbull/amstaff with mostly rottweilrs...
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »