View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 09:41 PM

Deliberate cross breeding, why do people do it?

after reading a post on another site bout a advertisement for a crossbreed litter of pups. I wondered wot we all thought of this? so many times i see it, and wonder why people purposely cross two different breeds together.

I know sometimes its purely for money sake, but where i used to work, there was this what i can a very well off woman, she lives in a very well off area and has a husband who owns his own company, has horses, stables etc etc, u kno the type.

Well, she was chatting to me one day bout her weimanara and saying she had purposely bred her to i cant remember wot breed. At the time, i didnt kno wot to say, and probably wouldnt have the guts to have asked anyway. But surely she couldnt have been doing it for the money, and she certainly is not a breeder! shes a very dappy woman and her hubby looks after her horses and goes to work etc.

So why? i cant see the reason. I said 'omg, what r they gonna look like', and her response 'very beautiful'.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 09:52 PM
this might need to go in heated topics

all dogs have evolved from cross matings to get to the breeds they are today but.....with a cross you dont know what inherited health effects you may get plus there may be temperament issues too

and dont forget some people cross certain breeds to produce designer dogs such as cockapoos and labradoodles etc
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Well I like crosses ! Most of my dogs have been first generation crosses I haven't bred any of them just enjoyed their company. Mollie is a Retreiver x collie/lab she has all the retreiving ability and drive of the retreiver and a bit of the herding from a collie. She is smaller than a lab with the gentleness of one. I love her individuality and she looks totally unique. We have in the past had a jack russel x lakeland terrier, a jack russel x corgi, a jack russel x manchester terrier and two collie x labs all totally unique and wonderful. I have no interest in showing nor do I want my dogs to conform to someone elses idea of what is correct. I want a pet I can afford to buy and a companion to love. Crosses give me all that and more.
I have had 2 pedigree dogs both loved very much also and both not quite the norm for their breed (both too tall) which to me was and is part of their appeal.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 10:15 PM
im not sayin there is anything wrong with crosses. Its jus this topic has come up alot and alot of 'breeders' disagree with purposely crossing dogs unless u are a knowledgable breeder. Jus looking for the reason why a backyard breeder would purposely cross if not interested in money. or even if they r interested in money why cross? to save money?

maybe this shud be moved to heated debated

i personally dont see why there is argument for breeding terms when we dont pay anywhere near as close attention to human breeding.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry I didn't mean you thought there was anything wrong with them - I just seem to be always defending them on the internet ! BYB aren't all bad ! Some people simply love dogs but cannot afford the pedigree prices so they cross. Often they don't make any money.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 10:27 PM
wot bout the woman from where i used to work. very rich... but still cross breeding ....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2004, 10:54 PM
"discretion is the better part of valour" they say..so I am staying out of this one Jenny go off and pull a cracker or something we can't do heated debates at Christmas its supposed to be a time of peace not throttling each other with our dog leads
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2004, 11:01 PM
lol, good point!

wasnt tryin to start a heated debate. Its so quiet on here at mo and only thing i could think to post!

im very heated at mo, really ill so please forgive me if i seem snappy or moody! lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
lol, good point!

wasnt tryin to start a heated debate. Its so quiet on here at mo and only thing i could think to post!

im very heated at mo, really ill so please forgive me if i seem snappy or moody! lol
ah Jenny (((hug))) thats ok just trying to save you from yourself
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2004, 12:43 AM
i dont agree with these so called designer dogs where people with too much time and not enough morals purposeley breed to totally different dogs to try and create something funky it seems a bit twisted and shallow and with no interest of the resulting pups in mind. i have no problems with crossbreeds tho
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »