View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Is tripe considered to be meat or offal?...

I just found out that a couple raw food suppliers can deliver to my area

So now I am seriously thinking about raw feeding for my dogs

Here's a couple questions if anyone can help answer them...

...What is Tripe considered as would it be in the offal catergory or meat??...

Also as we know their are many slightly different formulas for raw
feeding as far as what different groups make up the overall balanced
diet and I'm wondering what everyone uses...

I have seen
60% rmb, 15% veg, 10% offal, 5% fruit

or
60% rmb, 25% meat, 10% offal, 5% veg

you know there are many others so etc etc...

I have to admit I still have to get in the books to read!!...But
just wondering what formula on average is recommended by people who
already feed raw I know it boils down to what suits your dog
also, I.E: they have the runs? cut down on the veg etc...But just to
get an idea...

Then I see that to get an idea of quantity to feed a day you might
want to look at about 2 to 3% of the dogs body weight...What do you
think??

Anyway hints and tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 09:39 PM
hi mys, tripe is offal as it is the sheep or cows paunch (stomach). i feed all my dogs BARF but on vetinary advice i now parboil tripe, especially sheep, as it can carry campylobactor , a pathogenic microbe, which can cause gastroenteritis in dogs.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks

I thought it would be classed as offal but did want to double check We asked one of the possible suppliers we would be using what it would be classed as and they said meat but that didn't sound right to me.

How long do you parboil it for?

sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 09:51 PM
just add to ready boiling water and let it come back up to boil, leave for 2 or 3 mins, that should killoff any bad bugs.,o and use the water as it has lots of goodness in it
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 10:00 PM

What about when you have those minces where the tripe is mixed with another meat would you parboil those or not or would it just be easier not to not buy the tripe mixed with other stuff so you just parboil the tripe only. I've not made that very clear but I can't think of how else to get over what I mean
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Mys, campylobactor is one of the commonest causes of diarrhea in humans and is not present in just tripe. It can be carried in most meats, unpasteurised milk and contaminated water. That is why when having a barbecue you should put the raw meat on with one set of tongs and take the cooked meat off with another pair to stop contamination from the raw meat. No need to worry though as freezing tripe etc greatly reduces the risk of the bacteria so there should'nt be a need to cook it plus a dogs digestive tract is a lot shorter than a humans and is designed to cope with raw meat and bone. I'm not to sure what it is with the majority of vets but they seem to be against a raw diet. I have fed my dogs raw tripe for 30 years and had no problems. Regards cooking other pet minces [ ie chicken and tripe] i would advise strongly against this as it usually contains small pieces of bone and when bone is cooked that is when the problems start. Bone is only soft when uncooked and becomes brittle when cooked.
The percentage you mention 2-3% of bodyweight is about right for quantity but it is easy to adjust by looking at the condition of your dog. What you have to remember with a raw diet is every meal does not have to be balanced as you can achieve a balance over time....
If you need any help on a balanced diet let me know and i will tell you what i feed my dogs and what works for them taking into account they are both very fit....Hope this helps...Cheers..Ian..
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 10:49 PM
i agree with what ian is saying,but as i feed tripe to my puppies from the age of 5 weeks old, i would rather not risk them picking up any kind of bacteria and beleive that prevention is better than cure, they also have raw lamb bones, the soft ribs, and raw chicken carcasses, cooked cabbage and raw carrots and broccoli and cauliflower florets.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I agree with Ians post, I feed a raw mixed meat and tripe meal that I get from Landywoods never had any problems even my pups were weaned onto this, I have been told that tripe dosnt contain as much nutrients as the rest of the meat/offal so I personally wouldnt base the diet with tripe being the main food all the time, variety is the best policy,

Mo
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks all of you

Mo Landywoods might be who we use we are also looking at Berriewoods too...

Your right, I will be just using the tripe as one of many for variety but just wondered if it would be considered as part of the offal content of the diet or meat content...(I am probably trying to be a bit technical...lol...But hope you know what I mean!)

Sutty, I don't blame you being extra careful with the pups, I understand that and it's down to your own choice

Ian I think as my dogs are now adult I will leave it completly raw and that makes sence about the minces with the bone included so you answered my question there. That would be very helpful if you wanted to post a bit of a guide as to what your dogs get, every little bit of insight to what everybody does is of great help I think I will aim for about 2.5% of the dogs body weight to begin with and see how they go, if they are a bit porky on that I'll reduce it to 2% if to thin then 3%. I don't have a problem with weight gain on my dogs and they tend to stay on the lean side whatever I seem to feed so I think 2.5% will be a happy medium
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Hi M, tripes classed as meat in this instant

Agree with Mo & Ian, wouldn`t cook it & only feed it as part of a raw diet, c/bacter is in a lot of other things besides tripe & I weaned my pups on to a variety of raw meats & foods, no probs with d/rear at all.

Good luck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >