View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone, who is going to be around tonight to see the new year in? I shall be going to bed early and then getting up before midnight for the festivities.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Harvey yes it is the rat run here.
We think its the same one. Traps doesn't matter what we put in them to tempt them they ignore the trap. On camera we saw it go up and sniff the trap it had chocolate in they supposedly love chocolate if it isn't in a trap.
Gorden is up there now with his head torch giving him a lot more freedom to root around.
He found a large hole in a beam between us and Paul and Beth he thinks it may be coming from their loft they know they have a rat around and are using traps without much success getting into our eaves then it can pop up into the loft like we saw on camera.
That is now being blocked with metal pan scourers and chicken wire. Paul said they chew through it but not in our case every other hole we have blocked with pan scourers and chicken wire so far has deterred them.
They are not keen on the metallic apparently.
He is now covered in the talcum powder he put down. No signs of any rat pooh in our loft so its visiting. Hopefully now we are getting near have sourced the entrance and when it finds it can't get in it will stop trying.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Hope you sort mr rat out lynn
My aunty Tess has been in hospital since boxing day, just been given the news she won't make it...might last a few days and that is it, i am absolutely gutted...was going up next month to see her. We didn't think she would be long after Billy...they were married 68years...wow
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Well... the day started of beautifully but now is raining. Have been defrosting the big upright freezer, which I started tyesterday as had an order coming this morning, only just finished it now and switched it back on. Most of the order is outside in the cold and the only thing I've brought in are the venison necks as they are for tea tonight.
Did my Asda shop, then saw they are open tomorrow, not fair on the staff is it, they were open Boxing Day as well and until 7pm Christmas Eve,not much of a Christmas for them is it. Queues all over the show, you'd think they were shutting for a week, especially as they are not shutting at all!!!
Got girls clean and dry bedding down and a raw carrot each, so they'll be OK till tea time when I'll check them to make sure they haven't destroyed my nice deep beds by digging them up!!!
Hoping Ratty finally gives up Lynn, or maybe its his extended family all giving it a go
Will watch the fireworks on the Thames at midnight Moyra, having a sit down in front of the telly with a brew and a butty now, after all the to-ing and fro-ing today
Griff, just seen your post, so very sorry about Tess, does she even realise he's gone, poor Tess, so very sad
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
No signs of any rat pooh in our loft so its visiting.
Well that is better than what we found. All over our loft were rat pooh droppings, piles of them in some places, so ours were definately residents (But presumeably not paying any council tax )

I've had a hoover up there and removed some, I want to put in another layer of insulation but I don't like the idea of rat pooh staying up there forever suppose it's harmless but doesn't seem right to me
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear about Tess griff.
Thats bad isn't June Asda open tomorrow. Enjoy your rest.
We did find pooh when we first moved here Harvey. Gorden cleaned it all up.
Its in the loft so not as harmful as it being in the house but it is still bad for you.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Oooooo no, you deffo don't want rat poo...yack!!! Hopefully he will take the hint, we had the same problem, mice coming in from next door....i had to get a can of no more big gaps and go all round under the units....sorted the problem out.
Thanks Lynn, we expected her to go downhill after Billy, dad gave her a month...hopefully they will be together again with their daughter and my nan....mum is devastated
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Good day folks, sounds as if everyone is having a reasonable day, hope that preparations are all in hand for your New Year Celebrations, whatever form they might take.
Griff - So sorry to hear about Tess, hope her passing is gentle and then she can be re-united with the love of her life, Billy. 68 years is a fabulous amount of time to be together. Hugs to you and your Mum, such things are never easy but at this time of year it seems to make it harder still.
Sounds as if the rat-farming business is on the up, Lynn. Doubtless there'd be some profit in it if only you could catch the blighters. You never know - rat fur coats could be the next big thing in Norfolk Fashion.
Hints and tips for rat trapping:
Pork fat or sausage is an excellent bait.
Rats like to go around the perimeter of areas and will take advantage of naturally occuring cover (even in the dark seclusion of somewhere like a loft) so putting a piece of hardboard up against the wall or eaves to provide a natural tunnel will attract them. A trap placed under this lean-to will be more attractive to them as they feel safer under cover and will stop to investigate.
A good strong trap can be set, baited under a loose covering of something like straw or shredded paper and the scent of the bait will make the rat dig into the stuff (it is a more natural setting for food scavenging than just having the trap set in the open.
Rats are neo-phobic so anything set will be avoided for a few days initially till they become used to it and decide to chance an investigation.
Good luck - always remember Danger Curls is available to rent at very cheap family and friends rates! lol ! Her running round the place might liven Dillon up a bit too!
Back later - do try and be good everybody - don't go starting on the "Sauce" too early.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Thank you for those tips LG. Danger curls may just have to be employed if no luck.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Bet Danger curls would love a Norfolk holiday....could lend her to the neighbours too
LG, you are right 68years is a long time...biggest commitment i managed was adopting the cat and i knew he would be about 25years max lol
Wasn't going to have a drink tonight but i might just risk a bud or 2
Dads sister is coming down from Yorkshire on Sunday so they are all getting together at the legion... Don't know if he'll go ...i certainly won't be going near lol
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »