Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:05 PM

To be Dingo or not To be Dingo?

When we got him back in Feb he came to us with the name Dingo. Now when we've introduced him to the vet etc he's always gone as Dingo because that's what's on his passport. The thing is, his nickname is Dooley and he does in fact answer to this better than Dingo.

Should we just make his name officially Doolie or should we keep it as Dingo? If we were to change it, is it a pain in the butt to have it changed on his passport?

Heidi
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:12 PM
i would say call him what you want hun but not sure on the passport does it have an epirer date which you could then change it when you got a new one.
but think i would change name if answers better that one sorry not much help i now. lol
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Noooooooooooooo!

He's Dingo - he can't possibly be anything else.

Roxy is "Dood" (Roxy-doodle) and gets called it most of the time. She's still Roxy though.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Takara's affectionately known as Stupid (and responds to it bless her) but we've kept her official name Takara
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Normally I like to change a dogs name when I rescue them, I figure new start, new name.

But I have to say, in Dingo's case, he just looks and acts every inch a 'Dingo'.

All my dogs have nicknames which they answer to, so no reason why you can't carry on as you are - he's officially Dingo, but if you want to call him Dooley as a nickname, there's nothing to stop you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I have nick names for my dogs, so you can have the best of both worlds,

Vinnie is DUH-Winnsent lol the main part being DUH cos hes fikko
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Nooooooooooooooo he is Dingo and always will be
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Jobie answers to about 10 names, I wouldn't worry too much about changing it
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 02:58 PM
He will always be Dingo to us, bless him
The only thing I would say is make sure he knows both names so he will respond to vets or if (heaven forbid) he got lost etc.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Amber is known as "Ella" at home She answers to any variation of Ella, Ellie, Ellie-belly, Amber, Amberella.

Her "official" name is Amber, as that was what we decided to name her when we got her home. However, one day I started calling her "Ella" and it felt so much more natural than "Amber" that we glued it on the end and she became "Amberella", so as not to confuse all the friends and family members who had learnt her name! My boyfriend and I both call her Ella or Ellie, but she still answers if anyone else says "Amber".

Most horses have a stable name and a "proper name", so I would go on those grounds and call him whatever you like at home I once used to look after a horse with a very long elegant Welsh name, who was known to everyone as "Ted" and a lady at my old yard has a lovely grey called Starlight Boy, otherwise known as "Pete"!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >