Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Thanks for the link Apache. It would appear that the breed is nice natured.

Whilst this dog is wary, it's good to read that the breed rarely shows aggressive tendencies.
Hello egroeg

Yes he shows no signs of aggression. He gets along fantastic with my little Sheltie mix. I do think that this dog has been raised to stay outside all his life. The vet predicts that he is around 3 yrs old.By the way I had to find a vet who will come to the house. I brought him in the house and he is nervous as can be.If he hears any strange noise he wants out. I have kept him in the house for 15 min the longest so far. He did lift his leg one time and urinated on my wall ,that was sweet I do love this dog he is so nice, but so scared.I'm sure living in the woods starving in the winter time did a number on his nervous system. He will be going through heartworm treatment starting Saturday morning. I am so sorry that this poor guy has had such a hard life so far and now he has to go through this treatment that is going to make him sick.Please say a prayer for us.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't pray but I meditate and I've meditated so many times on this little chap and you too. I seriously feel so moved when I read your postings and the lengths you go to to home this lad. I have a very strong feeling he'll come around stronger than ever and you're going to have a solid companion in him. What is his name?

Any chance of photographs yet?
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Mornngglory, I'm afraid I don't pray either but would still love to call you an Angel.

You and your stray dog will be in my thoughts as with everyone else who has read this thread. You really have touched our hearts.

Has the vet said that the treatment will make him sick? I know nothing of the treatment other than the fact that Advocate is the only preventative one. Our dogs have Milbemax, which apparently will rid the dog of any (probably slight) infection when taken once per week for 4 weeks every 3 months. I imagine his dose will be much stronger. Hopefully the poor boy won't be too sick.

Calling a vet to your house doesn't come cheap. Another reason to admire you for what you are doing.

Just a thought about house noises. If you could control some noises such as flicking your finger against a wall at the same time as delivering a yummy treat, perhaps you could build it up from there?

I was just thinking that it's a shame you are across the pond. I'm sure there are tons of people on this forum who would love to come and help you. Bear with me.............. I have all my crazy/stupid ideas after midnight How about Googling universities running animal behaviour courses and asking if any students would be interested in your case? That way, it would be supervised and hopefully free.
Let's face it. You are not dealing with the run of the mill "my dog won't do this" scenario. I'd jump at the chance of having that on my CV if I was studying.

Just a thought...............

Night night and good luck tomorrow.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Egroeg - you too are very kindly and compassionate. Your words to morngglory are lovely and you are of course right about if we were nearer, I would love to help with this dog.

Mornngglory, I'm afraid I don't pray either but would still love to call you an Angel.

You and your stray dog will be in my thoughts as with everyone else who has read this thread. You really have touched our hearts.

Has the vet said that the treatment will make him sick? I know nothing of the treatment other than the fact that Advocate is the only preventative one. Our dogs have Milbemax, which apparently will rid the dog of any (probably slight) infection when taken once per week for 4 weeks every 3 months. I imagine his dose will be much stronger. Hopefully the poor boy won't be too sick.

Calling a vet to your house doesn't come cheap. Another reason to admire you for what you are doing.

Just a thought about house noises. If you could control some noises such as flicking your finger against a wall at the same time as delivering a yummy treat, perhaps you could build it up from there?

I was just thinking that it's a shame you are across the pond. I'm sure there are tons of people on this forum who would love to come and help you. Bear with me.............. I have all my crazy/stupid ideas after midnight How about Googling universities running animal behaviour courses and asking if any students would be interested in your case? That way, it would be supervised and hopefully free.
Let's face it. You are not dealing with the run of the mill "my dog won't do this" scenario. I'd jump at the chance of having that on my CV if I was studying.

morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by alys View Post
I just want to say 'well done ' you are doing an amazing job. What a lucky dog to have found a wonderful human at last.
Thank you for your response. I just feel like it is the right thing to do,and that I should do for one of Gods creatures in need .Why doesn't everyone feel this way?
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I don't pray but I meditate and I've meditated so many times on this little chap and you too. I seriously feel so moved when I read your postings and the lengths you go to to home this lad. I have a very strong feeling he'll come around stronger than ever and you're going to have a solid companion in him. What is his name?

Any chance of photographs yet?
I'll take anything that you can send my way , meditation is just fine with me.His name is Kye, because everyone in the neighborhood thought he was a coyote wandering around the woods . Today starts his first treatment for heartworm. The Vet said that she was happy that I got him to gain more weight before the treatment. In three weeks he put on 10 lbs. I don't know how to send pictures , when I have a little time I will work on it. Thanks for your thoughts and concerns, and I do want to have him be part of my family so bad.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2013, 05:59 PM

I believe his treatment is arsenic , 2 injections 24 hrs apart. No this is not an inexpensive ordeal. But I was blessed to have a Vet that is cutting me a deal because of the situation. You are so right , this is not your run of the mill situation, my dog barks when strangers come to yhe door type thing. This is a dog fearful of his own shadow. With all due respect I cannot believe there are so many people who do not pray on this sight. To me you are part of Gods plans by the kindness and love that you express for God's creatures and for the ones in charge of taking care of them. Well you might not believe in God or prayer but I believe that God sent you to me.Thank you for the suggestion on looking into a university on animal behavior.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
I don't know how to send pictures , when I have a little time I will work on it. Thanks for your thoughts and concerns, and I do want to have him be part of my family so bad.
I bought a camera five years ago, then I got so mad because all the instructions were on a CD and not in a printed format which is crazy because it takes so long to find what you want on CD but with an 'old fashioned' user manual you can find it in seconds. Then I lost the lead that connects it to the computer and nobody could sell me one. But in the end I did get it all to work and actually it's not so difficult.

Sorry for slight diversion but I wanted to say that while pictures would be nice I think what we really want is for you to post here from time to time to keep us updated on how Kye is progressing. I hope the heartworm treatment will not effect him too much and rest assured that I for one will always be checking this thread to see how he is doing.

You ask why so many humans don't care about animals and dogs in particular, how I wish I could answer you, all I can say is that it is (in my opinion) one of the worst aspect of humans, and makes me so angry.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
Thank you for your response. I just feel like it is the right thing to do,and that I should do for one of Gods creatures in need .Why doesn't everyone feel this way?
If only you could be bottled,people start off with a puppy, and the puppy becomes a dog,then they realise what a lot of work and love and they cannot step up to the plate,the dog becomes a problem,and for no fault of its own,it ends up in a shelter or on the street,then hopefully someone will pick up the pieces,sometimes a dog can go to several home,people miss the point,a dog is not just an animal that needs feeding and walking it needs so much input to be balanced and a happy dog.There are so few out of the hundreds of dog owner just dont get it.Luckily you are one of the few.I was a bit worried about the vet diagnosing heart worm,as normally they are picked up by a scan,or blood test and my concern was is the vet trying it on,but if you have confidence then fine.
Morning Glory, I will not be around for 10 days as going into hospital,but will keep you and Laddie in my thoughts and prayers Gemini54
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the link Apache. It would appear that the breed is nice natured.

Whilst this dog is wary, it's good to read that the breed rarely shows aggressive tendencies.
hi egroeg
Yes, you are right, he does not show any signs of aggression. He had his first heartworm injection yesterday and I know it was painful ,because it must be put in the muscle. I held him while the vet did the injection. He did not fight , wiggle ,growl or anything. He just stood still and let it happen. As far as a hunting dog, he saw a raccoon go past his dog house ,and a Turkey, and he just ignored the turkey and barked at the raccoon ,but never went after it.That is probably why he was dumped off in the woods, not a good hunting dog.People can be very disappointing.
Page 8 of 21 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »