Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Recommend me a food

Since Meg was spayed I have really struggled to control her weight,fed less up her exercise and still we struggle.

She is about 10lbs overweight at the present time,so I need to find a good quality food,that helps to control weight.For the last two weeks she has been fed chicken and rice only with live yogart,under vets instructions.I am hoping to reintroduce her normal food later this week,she was fed Arden Grange before been ill.
Any recommendations would be great!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Personally I've found raw feeding is the best way of feeding to control a dog's weight, from my experience. Kiki never maintained her weight on kibble (always looked a bit ribby), but had stablised and done fab since going raw, and when Casper got a little porky (my fault, we temporarily switched sources for raw and I overdone portions), it didn't take long to get the weight off without majorly decreasing his food, it wasn't as if I was feeding him bare minimum and he was going hungry, he was still getting a good amount but losing weight at a good rate.
Have you had the vets check that there's not a health reason behind it though? There are health conditions that can cause weight gain, e.g. issues to do with the thyroid gland, so it might not be because of her spay.
Another thing to look at is the fat content of kibbles, I've heard of several premium/well recommended brands of kibbles being known to be fattier/more oily than others and causing weight gain in dogs despite feeding less than the guidelines.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I found that Burns tends to keep dogs lean. Too lean in the case of my dog, which I why I had to switch to something more dense to help keep the weight on.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree with krlyr on the raw feeding. You have much more control over the contents of their meals.

Barney gained weight after castration & when his HD was diagnosed, it gave me the incentive to do something about it. I wanted to continue raw feeding so I opted for the following:
  • The minced meat part of diet was reduced by 2 oz a day.
  • I bought better quality mince (lower fat content) & then substituted half with low fat turkey mince.
  • I fed juiced up veggies with the mince twie a week.
  • If I fed offal I made sure that any fat on kidneys & hearts was cut off first (the seagull & crows made short work of it!).
  • I only gave him one bone instead of 2 & cut off any fat.
  • I fed low fat coley fish every 10 days or so.
  • For breakfast I switched to the lower calorie Nature Diet.
  • For treats I used the low fat slices of chicken/turkey (Weightwatchers I think).
  • I mixed low fat cottage cheese or yoghurt with grated carrot for kong fillers.
  • I cut out all fattening treats like pigs ears, biscuits sausages etc.
  • I made sure that Barney didn't pinch any of Wilma's bones or treats!!
  • I told family & friends that Barney was on a diet so not to give him treats ~ leave that to me!
  • I increased the exercise by about 30 mins a day & did what I could to encourage him to run around more & took him swimming.

As far as Barney was concerned, apart from possibly feeling a bit more hungry, or a bit less stuffed after a meal, I don't think he noticed any difference. He still got the same number of treats, just small low fat ones.

He lost 3 kgs in about 6 months & has stayed the same weight ever since. I get him weighed every 2 weeks at hydrotherapy so if his weight does start to change I can deal with it quickly.

Now I just need to have the same willpower for myself.....
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Now I just need to have the same willpower for myself.....
I think you need more than willpower to eat a Kong full of cottage cheese and grated carrot...
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think you need more than willpower to eat a Kong full of cottage cheese and grated carrot...
It's the pigs ears that I'll find hard to give up
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I struggle with Jed's weight, always have done. He has low energy so it's difficult to get him to burn anything off. Anyway, the only time he ever lost some serious weight was when he was on Chappie Complete. He went from 30kg down to 24kg. I feed raw now but i've never been able to achieve anywhere near 24kg again.

I tried all kinds of foods, even Arden Grange light but Chappie was the only success.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2010, 12:39 PM
When I had a similar issue with Rio I tried all the cutting down on food and upping the exercise but she's such a high energy dog anyway she could run all day on fresh air and yet still the weight wouldn't shift, I tried a few different foods but stayed away from the light versions. I put her on fish4dogs and the weight shifted quite rapidly and steadied at a good weight for her, the only treats she had were their fish skin cubes, she maintained the weight loss too although I've now started feeding them all on raw and so far that seems to be working for all of them.
I think sometimes it's just about finding the food that works for your particular dog and fish4dogs was attractive because the list of ingredients is so small.
300roses
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2010, 05:09 AM
I agree that raw helps to keep the weight in check. My Rossi did not do well on kibbles. Then I switched her to homecooked, she did fine on it, but gained quite a bit of weight.Then 2 months ago, I switched to raw, she became leaner n gained some muscles. Her energy level is higher than before too.

Of the 3 diets, dry, homecooked and raw, raw is definitely the best for Rossi.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 06:24 AM
When flynn put on alot of weight, i moved him to CP18 from CSJ, did the job brilliant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >