Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cesar Millan1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd give an update.

Rambo (finally chose a name :P) is just over 9 weeks old now. He's got his 1st vaccination just a few days ago. After consulting a vet, she said it'd be ok if I allowed the puppy to socialize with over dogs and puppies providing I'm sure the puppy's are safe and the older dogs have been vaccinated. Since then my pup's had lots of fun with 3 other puppies and 3 adult dogs. I've constantly been on the look for any virus symptoms but all seems good so far.

However, I've got a question which my vet seemed to be unsure on and had to ask her other fellow colleagues to confirm buteven then, they had mixed feelings towards it. I was told not to put the puppy on grass whatsoever till 7-10 days after its 2nd vaccination but wasn't sure if the pup would be suitable to walk on concrete. I would appreciate any input.

Oh, and I'm only 16 and this is the first time I've got a dog that's mine. We had a family dog when I was little but this one is all mine :P

P.S. Will have some pics in a few hours
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Glad to hear all's going well with Rambo.
I discussed exactly where and when pups could go with my vet when Dale was a pup. His advice was to keep away from grass, anywhere other dogs toilet and anywhere there were likely to be unvaccinated dogs.. In his opinion there were many benefits from getting pups out and about as soon as possible BUT he said it is a risk and he couldn't guarantee Dale wouldn't pick up an infection. His colleague felt to was wiser to carry puppies until after the last injections.
So the answer seemed to be the safest thing is to wait but carry him around to used to the world.
Hope that's some help.
Cesar Millan1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
^^ Thanks alot, I've been carrying him around before his injections but now that he's had his first, what would peoples opinions be on walking him on the pavement (not grass)?
Cesar Millan1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Btw, it's almost been a week since he had his first vaccination.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Wait til a week after his second jab...... as up til then there is a risk, and if he did get something how bad would you feel for having risked his health and possibly his life?

Just safer to carry him and minimise risks.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Cesar Millan1 View Post
Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd give an update.

Rambo (finally chose a name :P) is just over 9 weeks old now. He's got his 1st vaccination just a few days ago. After consulting a vet, she said it'd be ok if I allowed the puppy to socialize with over dogs and puppies providing I'm sure the puppy's are safe and the older dogs have been vaccinated. Since then my pup's had lots of fun with 3 other puppies and 3 adult dogs. I've constantly been on the look for any virus symptoms but all seems good so far.

However, I've got a question which my vet seemed to be unsure on and had to ask her other fellow colleagues to confirm buteven then, they had mixed feelings towards it. I was told not to put the puppy on grass whatsoever till 7-10 days after its 2nd vaccination but wasn't sure if the pup would be suitable to walk on concrete. I would appreciate any input.

Oh, and I'm only 16 and this is the first time I've got a dog that's mine. We had a family dog when I was little but this one is all mine :P

P.S. Will have some pics in a few hours
hi
i havnt read the other posts,sorry.
i am horrified your vet did not know the answer to this!
do not risk your puppy on the concrete streets of london.we have had 4 confirmed cases of parvo in our practise alone this year,defo not woth the risk imho.
enjoy your pup.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Cesar Millan1 View Post
Btw, it's almost been a week since he had his first vaccination.
makes no difference,vaccination is not an exact science
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2009, 07:02 PM
A puppy may not be safe even 2 weeks after a shot. Shots don't take if the puppy still has immunity passed on from its mother. You need to limit its exposure to possibly infected dogs or places they have eliminated for another couple of months. Even then it may catch parvo, but at least there will be enough dog to give it a good chance of surviving.

I would think pavement would be safer because dogs avoid eliminating on it if they can. I would keep him away from posts and other likely marking targets.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Honestly, I just wouldn't go there with the walking outside your own property, until both vaccs have been carried out and a week has passed since the second. Time soon flies by and the time to take him out will be here before you know it.

In the meantime, you can carry the pup around, to get him used to sounds, etc.

Maybe invite some vaccinated healthy dogs you know to come over for a play session or something like that.

Good luck. I'm impressed that you are being so careful with your dog and asking questions. Not so impressed that your Vet didn't seem to know the answer.

I bet he's gorgeous (the dog not the Vet )
BoxerPups
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I would wait to, till a week after 2nd jab.....just dont think its worth the risk......

I carried both my Boxers all over the place till then though, including to school twice a day....they thought I was mad....lol!!!!

Glad your little Pup is doing well. .
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >