Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Diarrhea with Blood - help please

Hi everyone. I've been up all night with Cassie as she had chronic diarrhea, every half hour, and then was sick at 5.30 am. and noticed blood in the stool from then on, but only a small amount. Vet given her antibiotic jab and tabs, and says I have to wait 5 days as it should clear up, BUT says she will have to have blood tests done if not, as it could be the start of EPI again which I had with her 5 yrs. ago now, but she hasn't had it for the past 2 years. She has just been again and this time it is neat blood and I'm so worried, but my vet isn't there till 4pm. only he young chap I saw this morning who I'm going to speak to in a mo, but I'm thinking she would be better off with them don't you, or am I overdramatising the situation, and bloody diarrhea is quite normal when they've been going all night? This was however, just pure blood! It just brings back my awful memories of how she was before with her EPI and we nearly lost her.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Helen try to stay calm so cassie will stay calm too...contact the vet again when you can for advice.. if cassie has lost a lot of blood she may be required to stay at the vets and go on a drip...this is normal and the best place for her to be ((hug)))
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Sending you a big hug and lots of positive thoughts. I hope Cassie will be okay.
xxx
Meg
Supervisor

18-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Helen..not sure if could be EPI again ..I think more likley to be severe gastric infection..there has been a really nasty one around this year that some people have mistaken for parvo... the antibiotics wil take some time to work..
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Hiya Helen

Give Cassie a big cuddle from me, I'm sure once the antibiotic kicks in she will improve. Try not to worry too much, easier said I know
Thinking of you
Heather
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys for your support. The Vet wanted her brought straight in, so I took her over there and had a long chat with him. He now thinks it could be just severe colitis, but the colour of her stools i.e. yellow or putty coloured were pointing to the EPI rearing up again. I told him I would like the blood test done anyway, but obviously when she has perked up a bit. He said her colour was still quite good in her mouth, but he just doesn't know, but is going to keep her overnight (I'm sooo glad because I just couldn't go through all that again after being sent back home at 3.00 am. with blood everywhere all night and nobody to help us until they opened at 8.30 am. the last time she had it).

Luckily she hasn't vomited again since 5.30 am. this morning, but I was very concerned that she was straining to "go" and all she passed was bright red blood. Can severe colitis do that then?

It couldn't be my change over to Burns because I did it all properly over 2 weeks and it is fish and rice the same as her previous diet. I do remember they were both interested in something on our walk yesterday morning and wouldn't come when I called them straight away, so could she have eaten something nasty enough to cause this I wonder? I'm at my wit's end as I always am when my dogs are ill. I am phoning him in the morning to see how she is and what they intend doing with her next, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is purely an inflamed or infected bowel. If he does a blood test, I will have to have 2 done, because the EPI is a specific one on it's own, whereas the other b.test is for the organs etc. Typical,that she isn't covered by her insurance because they won't cover her any more for any intestinal probs. but whatever it costs we will pay and I told him this. My poor baby I miss her already.
Meg
Supervisor

18-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Helen glad cassie is at the vets, they will monitor her and see if a drip to replace fluids is needed. Yes severe colitis can cause that sort of bleeding I have seen it many times the lining of the tummy becomes inflamed and raw. Cassie is in the best hands, go and have a cup of tea and a doze if you can, when cassie returns she will need looking after so have a rest while you can ((hug)))..the cause? best guess a tummy bug..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Helen glad cassie is at the vets, they will monitor her and see if a drip to replace fluids is needed. Yes severe colitis can cause that sort of bleeding I have seen it many times the lining of the tummy becomes inflamed and raw. Cassie is in the best hands, go and have a cup of tea and a doze if you can, when cassie returns she will need looking after so have a rest while you can ((hug)))..the cause? best guess a tummy bug..
Thank you Mini, I will dry my eyes and go put that kettle on.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Hiya Helen

Give Cassie a big cuddle from me, I'm sure once the antibiotic kicks in she will improve. Try not to worry too much, easier said I know
Thinking of you
Heather
Thanks Het, I'm terrible when they're ill but I would rather she be over there being monitored than here with me getting stressed
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Sending you a big hug and lots of positive thoughts. I hope Cassie will be okay.
xxx
Thank you very much for your kind words and support, very muchappreciated.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >