Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Same way other pet owners do ?

Does seem wrong we allow cats free to kill whatever they like but expect more from our dogs.
Do you have a cat?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
My dog wanders into your garden. Your dog (quite rightly) objects to this and attacks my dog.
a) who's at fault?
b) how could I have prevented that?
c) why can I not replace the first "dog" with "cat" in this situation?
C) i dont object to anything you are saying, what makes you think i am?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
C) i dont object to anything you are saying, what makes you think i am?
I'm just giving you the answer to your question. How does a cat owner stop their cat from entering gardens with dogs in? Simple, you contain it to your house or garden like you would a dog.

You've said that if a neighbour's dog killed your cat in their own garden, you'd report it as dangerously out of control. Why is a dog, contained in the owner's own property, dangerous or out of control? If my dog wandered into your garden and your dog attacked it, would I be in the right to report your dog as dangerously out of control?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I have to say mine have killed a cat that came into the garden. *Yes I was devestated, I paid the vets bill and went to see those that owned it.

However I would not consider having my dogs pts nor would I consider keeping my dogs muzzeled and on leads in their own garden.

I dont think it would be taken seriously if you reported it as dangers dog in its own garden to be honest.
Thank you for being honest & i respect you for being so considerate towards the cats owner. Im sure they appreciated it.

With regard *to it not being taken seriously. Any pet animal that attacks another irrespective of where it is or whose property its on, is considered an offence

There was the case of a Bullterrier kept outside while the owners were at work. The dog attacked & killed a domestic cat. Neighbours saw the dog dragging the body round the garden & reported it to relevant authorities.*

As it turned out the cat was a stray - owners left it behind when they moved & neighbours had been feeding it. As there was no owner it was decided no further action would be taken.*

The dog owner was visited and informed they had to keep the dog under control at all times.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:04 PM
if my dogs killed a cat that was silly enough to come into my garden..i would be devastated for the owner and the cat...i would not think my dogs are dangerous or have the taste of blood..or from that think they would kill a dog!.

on the subject of dogs.. in my experience they do not attack sick animals either,.
dogs do have a problem with 'instability ' though and fits fall into this category imo.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:06 PM
If a neighbours dog killed one of our cats i would be absolutely furious. I would report that dog to the dog warden as being dangerously out of control - there, that will give you something to take out of context as well!!
I'm sorry but if a neighbours cat is dumb enough to come into my garden while my dog is out then it takes its chances I'm afraid. I check for cats before letting him out and I'm at the door the whole time he's out, I'm not muzzling him in our own garden!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:20 PM
For flips sake i go away to make lunch for myself & my invalid mother, feed the stray cats & come back to find that something i have typed has been taken totally out of context.

This is precisely WHY i didnt post in the original thread!

It is absolute nonsense to insinuate that showing was more important to me than peace in the household.

The dog in question who was aggressive i bought in at just over a year old as his breeder was selling him but only to someone she knew. We already had his litter brother. He did the same at tbe breeders as he did in our house.*
We didnt know he had that perculair habit until he was home & living in the house! Interestingly enough it was only his brother he would challange

This nit picking in threads when someone makes an innocent remark is unbelievable

Forums are meant to be where people can express their opinions not be put down for them! If we cant agree & there is no law that says we should, then we should have enough respect for each other to be able to disagree!

If a neighbours dog killed one of our cats i would be absolutely furious. I would report that dog to the dog warden as being dangerously out of control - there, that will give you something to take out of context as well!!

What if said cat was in the neighbours garden ?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if my dogs killed a cat that was silly enough to come into my garden..i would be devastated for the owner and the cat...i would not think my dogs are dangerous or have the taste of blood..or from that think they would kill a dog!.

on the subject of dogs.. in my experience they do not attack sick animals either,.
dogs do have a problem with 'instability ' though and fits fall into this category imo.

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'm sorry but if a neighbours cat is dumb enough to come into my garden while my dog is out then it takes its chances I'm afraid. I check for cats before letting him out and I'm at the door the whole time he's out, I'm not muzzling him in our own garden!
No offense to anyone would agree with the above. Cats so far as know are not classed as domesticated animals n if they take their chance coming into our garden then good luck to them(would never wish harm on them though or any animal). Instability within any social group can always cause friction, n how that group deals with or reacts to such is not for anyone to judge unless has true understanding, which don't think anyone can ever really have. Unpredictable happen in all walks of life, sometimes is just beyond folks control no matter how much they care and try to do right thing.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you for being honest & i respect you for being so considerate towards the cats owner. Im sure they appreciated it.

With regard *to it not being taken seriously. Any pet animal that attacks another irrespective of where it is or whose property its on, is considered an offence

There was the case of a Bullterrier kept outside while the owners were at work. The dog attacked & killed a domestic cat. Neighbours saw the dog dragging the body round the garden & reported it to relevant authorities.*

As it turned out the cat was a stray - owners left it behind when they moved & neighbours had been feeding it. As there was no owner it was decided no further action would be taken.*

The dog owner was visited and informed they had to keep the dog under control at all times.
Sorry I must just ask, what's with all the ''*''s when you post? Am I missing something?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
No offense to anyone would agree with the above. Cats so far as know are not classed as domesticated animals n if they take their chance coming into our garden then good luck to them(would never wish harm on them though or any animal). Instability within any social group can always cause friction, n how that group deals with or reacts to such is not for anyone to judge unless has true understanding, which don't think anyone can ever really have. Unpredictable happen in all walks of life, sometimes is just beyond folks control no matter how much they care and try to do right thing.
As faras i'm aware, cats are classed as a wild animal because they wander and there is no lega comeback if the cat was on someone elses property. My dog killed a cat that was in my garden, i had various people on this forum berate me at the time as i made the big mistake of posting the incident on here, i was told i should muzzle my dog in its own garden
Page 17 of 56 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »