Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Advice Please - Using Drontal Plus

Hi all,

My rescue dog came with Drontal Plus worming tablet. I've never used this one before, what is the usual administration procedure?

She's doing really well - putting on weight nicely. Don't want to upset her, but no idea when she was last wormed so need to do it, especially since I have Ebony too.

Would welcome advice. Thanks
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi

Could you give the rescue a call and see if they remember when she was last wormed. Many vets recommend every 3 months but some people worm less than this.

I think Drontal plus is what Max has, does the packet have a Dogue de Bordeaux on the front of it? How much does your lab weigh? I'm not at home so don't have the packet to check the weights.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I can't remember the dosage but I have used it on two of my dogs now and they've never had a problem with it.
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Majuka,
Thanks for a prompt response. When I asked the rescue about worming they said they would pop a tablet in her pack - so assume she is 'due' a dose. Raegen is a German shorthaired Pointer - but VERY thin. Sadly, her owner never fed her and her bones are barely covered with flesh. She has put on some weight tho, and looks better already. No packet, I'm afraid, just a single tablet that says 1= 10kg.

Ebony is my flabmaster of a Lab. (She's on a diet and exercise regime!!) Her pic is my Avitar. She's a babe too!

Karen x
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi Fliggle - Need to know when to give it please. Is it morning before food? With food? Some food? I do not have any instructions at all and as I've never used it before I don't want to risk getting it wrong.

Many thanks,
Karen x
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
They must have weighed her and given you the correct dosage to give. It would have been irresponsible of them not to. Just make sure she has some food to eat after you've given it to her, that I do remember being one of the instructions on the packet. They are to be given with or after food.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi,I have the instructions here,
It says.....

Dosage-
1 tablet per 10kg (22lbs) bodyweight.

Puppies/small dogs
1/2 - 2 kg bodyweight=1/4 tablet
3-5kg bodyweight=1/2 tablet
6-10kg bodyweight = 1 tablet

Medium dogs-

11-15 kg bodyweight =1 1/2 tablets

16-20kg bodyweight= 2 tablets
21-25 kg bodyweight = 2 1/2 tablets
26-30 kg bodyweight = 3 tablets

Large dogs

31-35 kg bodyweight =3 1/2 tablets
36-40 kg bodyweight+ 4 tablets,

I usually weigh myself,then weigh myself holding the dog to work out their weight lol !!!

Hope that helps some ,
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Meant to say,The instuctions say,
'The tablets can be given directly to the dog or disguised in food.No starvation is needed before or after treatment'

I have to watch mine when giving it though as Alfie will eat around it,If i try and put it in his mouth he spits it out !!! I've taken to crushing it with a spoon and mixing it with a small amout of something very yummy !! Doesn't matter what time of day you give it,
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Karen,

Sorry, I think I have my crazy head on here! I'm thinking Drontal Plus is the large breed version but maybe that is Drontal XL (hence the picture of the DDB on the front). If it is the 1 = 10 kg it must be the 'normal sized dog one!'

But if they have only given her 1 tablet then that is only for 10 kg, do you know how much she weighs, she may be skinny but she must be a fair bit more than 10 kg?

Not sure how long you've had her, is she registered with your vet yet? Vets supply wormers but you will probably get them cheaper online, (can't recommend anywhere as I am a sucker and get them from my vets as have never got round to looking elsewhere. Have a look at some old threads on here for good sites).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Ollie is 60kg and has two of these every 3 months.
He has them mixed into his food and it doesn't matter what time you feed them morning, afternoon or evening.
I have never had a problem with them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >