View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:21 AM

Part Castration Yesterday - Recovery Time ?

Well the goldie had a ball off yesterday as at his yearly check up, the vet found a slightly larger testicle, we kept an eye on it over the next few months and indeed it was getting bigger. So he had it off yesterday.

I've never owned a dog that has been castrated, spayed yes, but that was when I was a child and cant really remember much about how she recovered. She was just as loony after we had her done

Yesterday understandably he was groggy, he wandered around occassionally and just looked drunk, but would walk a few strides then sit or lay down.

Wouldnt touch his dinner, so muggins here hand fed it to him (small lamb dinner) it was only when he was hand fed he took it. He's always been a fussy eater anyway and will happily leave his food, it's only as I have a hungry hippo of a flatcoat who will gobble his food if the goldie wont eat it, that the goldie eats it after 10 mins or so. I dont leave his dinner down for more than 15 mins, if he hasnt eaten it, tough, it goes in the bin. Well that's what I do normally. This morning I've left a little bit down in case he's hungry.

He tried going for a pee last night, but was a bit unsteady on the hind legs, he stayed in last night on his bed with a collar on to stop him licking the wound. I expected him to at least try and go for a pee this morning, he cocked his leg once and only went for a quick squirt then that was it, this morning he has drunk a bit more, as he wont touch his breakfast (cooked chicken) but he'll tuck into bonio's no problem.

He's a LOT more perkier this morning, happily trots round the house, but still sits a lot, I'm putting it down to the fact that perhaps he's a bit tender where his incision is and by sitting it puts a bit of pressure on it and removes the tenderness ? However I'm a little worried that he hasnt had a decent pee yet. He'll not always cock a leg to go, he'll sometimes go like a puppy on the grass (squatting) so I've had him on the lead later this morning on grass to encourage him on his usual toilet patch. Nothing, all I got was him playbowing to me and barking .. which I was chuffed at as obviously he's feeling brighter if he's offering play.

Has anyone else's male ever had trouble going fo a pee after the surgery and sat down alot ? Just want to make sure he's ok ....

ETA I will be phoning the vet anyway but just wanted to hear from other dog owners who's dog had had the snip .. Thanks
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 09:33 AM
YES!!! Can last a day or so, but keep checking the wound is okay, as I'm sure you will.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 09:38 AM
When my Otis was castrated he recovered really quickly. He only had one ball (should have called him Adolf!!) so had exploratory surgery to find the other one as well but there wasn't one. It was all I could do to stop him running with a big scar on his belly but he did stay groggy for about 24 hours and didn't eat.
mad_molly2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 05:17 PM
My Max was castrated yesterday - he spent the evening looking rather bewildered but managed to eat his dinner. Today, you wouldn't know he had had anything done! He's back to acting like his usual loony self
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Hec was back to normal within hours lol. Vet said a day or two. Annoying bit was keeping him on a lead for 2 weeks until stitches came out.