Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
If it could be proved it never gets distressed and has more room than a dog in a purpose built enclosure I will happily eat my hat.
well no matter what you get told about how dog this dogs life is and how happy she is you dont seem to beleave it, (i mean people in general not just you)
so no matter what you get told you will only hear what you want to,
im still waiting forsomone to stop complaining, come forward and tell me withs the difference between a teather (chain) and a kennel;
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
If it could be proved it never gets distressed and has more room than a dog in a purpose built enclosure I will happily eat my hat.
I suppose the only way to prove that, in order to be sure it is the chain that's causing the stress, is to monitor stress levels for the dog when on the chain then transfer it to a kennel and monitor again. Only down side being if the dog is not used to the kennel it is probably more likely to be distressed by the change in it's environment. You would therefore have to allow the dog to settle (don't know how you could be sure it had truly settled though) and then monitor stress levels. Furthermore, to provide a full picture of the situation it would be worth doing a study with the animal in a home environment aswell, again giving it time to settle first.

It would be interesting to see a study on it but to be honest without putting one dog through a lot of stressful changes in it's life you could never properly test it. Still if may solve the discussion once and for all.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
well no matter what you get told about how dog this dogs life is and how happy she is you dont seem to beleave it, (i mean people in general not just you)
so no matter what you get told you will only hear what you want to,
im still waiting forsomone to stop complaining, come forward and tell me withs the difference between a teather (chain) and a kennel;
Exactly. People only believe what they want to. They dont seem to understand that the dog doesn't spend it's life on the chain. I too am still waiting for the reply as to why a kennel and run is different.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Safety has always come first for my dogs obviously if a dog is tethered he/she could get hurt in many ways that a dog in a run would not. Anyone thinks otherwise is also only seeing/hearing what they want and not considering the options very well.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 03:08 PM
What we think is good for our dogs is not always how they see it.
We have 3 kennels and runs. Our dogs all sleep indoors. The kennels are mostly used for feeding but also chill-out times etc

Given the choice our terriers and dobermann prefer soft bedding and warmth in cold weather.

Given the choice, the GSD and collie prefer to be outdoors.

The only reason they are not given the choice to sleep outdoors or in their kennels is out of consideration to our neighbours as foxes, rats and railway workers sometimes cause the dogs to bark.

All our dogs love interaction with us but are content to spend time by themselves or just with each other.

We tether Tara our GSD, when we go caravanning. However, she usually scrambles underneath the edge of the awning and lies outside watching and listening to the world go by in contentment. She really enjoys being outside and isn't bothered by the tether.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I generally don't have a problem with dogs living outside as long as their basic needs are met, along with lots of interaction and mental stimulus. However, I don't think a lone dog living outside is fair. Dogs are social animals and I think they need the company of their own kind if they have to be left for long periods.

All the dogs I have owned have been pet/companion dogs and have been welcomed into the home as part of my family. This does not mean they have been humanised, they are dogs and have been treated as such with love respect and affection. IF for reasons beyond my control Molly had to be kept outside, I would definitely adopt another dog as a companion for her.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
Exactly. People only believe what they want to. They dont seem to understand that the dog doesn't spend it's life on the chain. I too am still waiting for the reply as to why a kennel and run is different.
A kennel and run is not going to break a dogs neck if/when the dog happens to tangle itself up in it.

Perhaps you can tell us why you think its no different tethering/chaining to having an enclosed run!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Safety has always come first for my dogs obviously if a dog is tethered he/she could get hurt in many ways that a dog in a run would not. Anyone thinks otherwise is also only seeing/hearing what they want and not considering the options very well.
What she said !
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I was told by one Rescues home checker that any sign of a dog kennel or dog out building would be mean she would fail the applicant ...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
What we think is good for our dogs is not always how they see it.
We have 3 kennels and runs. Our dogs all sleep indoors. The kennels are mostly used for feeding but also chill-out times etc

Given the choice our terriers and dobermann prefer soft bedding and warmth in cold weather.

Given the choice, the GSD and collie prefer to be outdoors.

The only reason they are not given the choice to sleep outdoors or in their kennels is out of consideration to our neighbours as foxes, rats and railway workers sometimes cause the dogs to bark.

All our dogs love interaction with us but are content to spend time by themselves or just with each other.

We tether Tara our GSD, when we go caravanning. However, she usually scrambles underneath the edge of the awning and lies outside watching and listening to the world go by in contentment. She really enjoys being outside and isn't bothered by the tether.
We used to tether our dogs , before we had a veranda at the caravan, also at times when we would go to a show...........BUT, from personal experience one is always on edge checking and de tangling dogs from the lead, due to the fact the dog moves around and the rope/chain does`nt...they would never ever be left on their own tethered.

the thought of chaining/tethering a dog and not being to keep a close eye on it, would be enough for me not to do it.

I cant understand why anyone would want to tether theirpet not guard dog, outside in all weathers leaving it on its own, at night and when you are not around, when at any other time you have it with you ??
Page 14 of 50 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »