View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:41 PM

What the h*ll am I gonna do about this . .

Just need a rant!! SORRY

My 15yr old foster girl has come home tonight and announced she's bought her boyfriend a puppy for his birthday! As if that wasn't bad enough at their age with an uncertain future it's a pit bull, coon hound, sharpei cross!!!
Now I believe it's not the breed but the deed but in the wrong hands (and I really believe these kids are totally the wrong hands and can barely look after themselves) this dog could do massive amounts of damage. The boyfriend is a bit of a lad so I guess this dog would need to look and act 'hard' to be his status symbol.

She won't tell me who or where she's bought it from but I'm disgusted at a so-called adult selling any pup to a kid! she knows exactly what I'd do and say to the 'breeder'

Just don't know what to do about it now and I'm already feeling sorry for this pup and it's not even left it's mum yet!!!

Sorry but . . . Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:53 PM
apart from aaaarggghhh too, i dont know what to say.

I just hope he has sensible parents that can step in and help!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Can you not forbid her to part with any money?

If she's only 15 then you still have a say, hopefully you can talk her out of it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:56 PM
There is not a lot you can do really.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Doubt it will be that mix .
Can see you having a new dog in a few months then ..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 08:58 PM
It is actually illegal to sell a puppy to anyone under 16 years of age.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I can't imagine it actually being that mix either .... poor puppy - can't imagine it has had the greatest start in life
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 06:29 AM
I foster teenagers but I am sorry I would be speaking to her Social Worker about it if she was my foster child, plus I would speak to the boys family (if he has any) like Scorpio said I would insist her money went elsewhere.

I realise she is a young person and she has rights, however here I hold strict boundries and one thing I teach is that decisions are talked over before hand and boundries are not to crossed then again I deal with Challanging Behaviour Children so strict boundries have to be enforced. I have had YP that have done such things but I have stepped in and stopped it. If she has pocket money then perhaps she would benefit with only half/small amount of it and the rest is put in a bank for her when she can use it once she goes into independant living, as I feel (and this is only my opinion) they need at the age of 15 to be taught the values of money for later life experiences
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:15 AM
A trip to a local rescue centre might be a way to teach a lesson. Show her round, show her the amount of staffies (which there will inevitably be) in there and spell out the facts of life to her.

I also would be having a quiet word with your care worker to get some much needed advice as they may also have some influence.

Difficult situation and one that I wish you every success in resolving
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I foster teenagers but I am sorry I would be speaking to her Social Worker about it if she was my foster child, plus I would speak to the boys family (if he has any) like Scorpio said I would insist her money went elsewhere.

I realise she is a young person and she has rights, however here I hold strict boundries and one thing I teach is that decisions are talked over before hand and boundries are not to crossed then again I deal with Challanging Behaviour Children so strict boundries have to be enforced. I have had YP that have done such things but I have stepped in and stopped it. If she has pocket money then perhaps she would benefit with only half/small amount of it and the rest is put in a bank for her when she can use it once she goes into independant living, as I feel (and this is only my opinion) they need at the age of 15 to be taught the values of money for later life experiences
Thats the thing though, we've stopped all money due to her drug use!! She no longer gets any at all from me, if she wants anything I buy it.
Social svcs are in the process of moving her into a secure unit as her behaviour is so off the wall!!! I don't even know where she's got the money from!!
I've spoken to her bf's parents and they didn't know anythng about it and they've said there's no way they could have the dog there as his mum is allergic!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >