View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:18 PM
was going to say the same, take a digi pic... ok, going to check on dinner, be back later...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dani did you lay the turf yourself? May be worth thinking of doing that instead...seeding takes such a long time..to be honest you would be lucky to let them on it for a decent play this year.
You can pick up turf quite cheap if you are prpepared to lay it yourself. We did ours right at the back and it didn't take long. Had Alan Titchmarsh's book at our side and off we went....
We have reseeded bits and its taken an age for it to be play worthy.

You have a lovely size/shape of garden!

Have to admit weput chipped bark down for a climbing frame etc when my son was a bit younger and it was an absolute pain. The dogs tried to eat it, weeds came through the stuff after a while and my son hated walking on it, he is like his mum and doesn't really like shoes! I'm not convinced it provided a much softer landing either.....

Magnolias are sooooooo lovely, I also love lavenders....
We don't have time to do a lot in the garden but have adopted a bit of a wildlife approach. One persons weed is another persons wildflower!

Someone told me ages ago that a perfect kids garden should include some water (to encourage birds etc), somewhere for the children to grow something to eat, somewhere for insect attracting plants, somewhere for birds/animals, some sort of shelter to play in and of course a grassed area (I'm sure thats what they said!!!!!!) Made sense anyway.

It is hard doing a kid and dog friendly garden, we have tried so many things...have almost given up now though as my son and Cosmo have taken to playing football.....still at least it means at the moment I always have a vase of freshly stomped upon (sorry 'cut') daffodils!!!!!! I would love a beautiful garden.......I shall watch this thread with real interest.

Blimey I've gone on....can you tell the sunshine has been inspiring me?!!!!!!!!
hiya, no we had the turf laid so i suppose a fair chunk of that was labour, and they had to prepare the ground etc... it just with the extension we had to dig alot of it up, and then we werent able to get to the lawn to mow it or treat it as it was surrounded by an open drainage/sewer pipes trench for nearly 2 years !!! thats why its in suc a mess, as Bruno doesnt dig etc so its only his poop and pee thats wrecked it from his point of view.

will look into turf prices again.

we also have a balcony as you can see so I planned to grow strawberries on the balcony as its lovely and sunny up there and luca adores them and could eat a whole punnet in one go ( and has !!)

I wanted to plant within the decking, some herbs and maybe wild rocket as i use them for cooking alot.

we also have a brick wall which runs right along the right hand side which I planned to take a section of and paint it white and do a nice mural on it, smiley sun etc for luca's area with climbing frame. We have some bark already that bruno hasnt eaten... he prefers actual wood blocks ( he will probably end up chewing the decking )

anyway going to get on with this plan !!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hiya, no we had the turf laid so i suppose a fair chunk of that was labour, and they had to prepare the ground etc... it just with the extension we had to dig alot of it up, and then we werent able to get to the lawn to mow it or treat it as it was surrounded by an open drainage/sewer pipes trench for nearly 2 years !!! thats why its in suc a mess, as Bruno doesnt dig etc so its only his poop and pee thats wrecked it from his point of view.

will look into turf prices again.

we also have a balcony as you can see so I planned to grow strawberries on the balcony as its lovely and sunny up there and luca adores them and could eat a whole punnet in one go ( and has !!)

I wanted to plant within the decking, some herbs and maybe wild rocket as i use them for cooking alot.

we also have a brick wall which runs right along the right hand side which I planned to take a section of and paint it white and do a nice mural on it, smiley sun etc for luca's area with climbing frame. We have some bark already that bruno hasnt eaten... he prefers actual wood blocks ( he will probably end up chewing the decking )

anyway going to get on with this plan !!
Oooo loving the sound of it already!
The only thing you're missing is the water thing. This person said (she'd been to a Garden Festival and been talking to far too many people I think) said some wort of water feature is important, even if it is really shallow. Just to attract in birds and wildlfe if nothing else, she was told even an upset down binlid would do (she didn't have dogs though )
We put in a small pond/puddle a few years ago that needs redoing but my son and his friends LOVE it....don't know what the attraction is. It is less than a foot deep! Cosmo loves it too...so it is being redesigned this year!
Maybe a bird bath?!

ETA: I have planted sunflower seeds a lot in the last few years, I start them off with my son and we pop them on the window ledge, when they are dog proof (tall and strong enough) we put them in the garden, with canes for support. Biff and MO used to always pee on them, but I have to say, they seemed to thrive on it. The only plants their urine didn't kill off!!!!!

Beans are good, striking and off the ground!!!!!

I am loving this thread, can't wait to see lots of summer pics of your garden!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 07:35 PM
ok

hope this helps.,

the blue areas are currently mud.
the yellow is the decking
green obviously the lawn.

sizes sorry i know you work in feet - ok 20 m about 64feet??
so back fence line left to right is 64feet
back fence to left hand corner 32 feet
left corner to middle/edge of lawn 50 feet
back fence at right to end of decking about 50 feet
decking area about 50 sqm which is what about 500 sq feet?

hopefully measurements are correct. the white area is also mud at moment.....
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 08:24 PM
that's fine, I can do metres if I have the shape to relate to.
I shall think and plan and come up with a scheme in the next couple of days. Maybe sooner. That ok?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 08:54 PM
oohh thats wonderful - you are such a star !!!

ps. forgot to mention that i absolutely love butterfly bushes - no idea what their proper name is but was thinking of one beside the shed/climbing frame area as luca would love it

thankyou thankyou thankyou xxx
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Buddleia - and the perfect example of one man's flower being another man's weed - they used to grow on the derelict buildings I used to see on the journey into London for 18 long years ....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Ooooo I love Buddleia too!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Ooooo I love Buddleia too!!!!
my cousin has a massive one in her very wild garden which is gorgeous and she is inundated with butterflies so her garden is amazing, luca loves it when he visits in the summer as there are so many species....

amazing.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 04:30 PM
ok dokey
look what lovely Pat " charlie dimmock" ( missE) has done for me :
now all I need is someone to do it for me...... only joking have been out digging this afternoon...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...S/DSCF0234.jpg

isnt it wonderful !!!!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >