View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:30 PM
First of all the poster asked members to say what THEY would do. So I have answered to what I would do.

Secondly, I fail to see what docking has to do with this post and how anyone has surmised that I do not mind lobbing its tail off? How did you come to that conclusion?

Thirdly, I never said that having three legs does not hinder quality of life, although I would say it DOES in some dogs. As someone who regularly visits a chiropracter and who has their dogs see them every 3 months, I would venture to say that if an animal has been designed to move on a certain number of legs, lobbing one off DOES actually impact on their other limbs and spine.

In some dogs having 3 legs or less would be extremely ill advised also you have to consider the lifestyle they actually lead in their present home, but I am sure there are HUNDREDS of homes waiting to take on 3 legged dogs as their first choice!

Fourthly I know that SOME deaf dogs lead wonderful lives, I would not choose to have one neither would I expect someone else to take it on.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, mine is no less valid than anyone else's and neither is my choice. What others choose to do is their own affair.

Nobody needs to go on a guilt trip for taking responsibility for the dogs they choose to breed or own, quite the reverse.

having three legs does not hinder quality of life of a dog!!...altho may hinder you working them
...but u dont mind lobbing its tail off
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Fourthly I know that SOME deaf dogs lead wonderful lives, I would not choose to have one neither would I expect someone else to take it on.
This is a silly statement. Dogs who hear and see and have all four legs don't always lead wonderful lives EITHER. If "wonderful life" were necessary for allowing a dog to live then many dogs would have to be killed. Those that are shy or nervous, those that are reactive, those that have aggression issues, those whose owners aren't the best.

Yes the OP asked for opinions but that doesn't mean we all have to like those opinions.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Not read the whole thread and do not breed, however MY opinion is that there are plenty of dogs with all their faculties who find it difficult to find good homes, it is much HARDER to find homes for deaf ones; especially as many people cannot train an overweight, hearing, elderly labrador................

I feel the same about other dogs with fewer than 4 limbs,, needing lifelong medication, the dog that cannot go out in sunlight etc.

If I bred a litter I would cull any that were substandard;

on the continent it is the norm to cull litters to a specific size regardless of health of litter.

Why should I pass on a problem to someone else?
What do you class as substandard?
A ridgeback without a ridge?
A white boxer?
A solid dali?
All reasons people have culled pups...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What do you class as substandard?
A ridgeback without a ridge?
A white boxer?
A solid dali?
All reasons people have culled pups...
you forgot the 'runt' that blossoms
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:52 PM
If I was a breeder I would cull any pups that did not meet the standard.

This is a silly statement. Dogs who hear and see and have all four legs don't always lead wonderful lives EITHER. If "wonderful life" were necessary for allowing a dog to live then many dogs would have to be killed. Those that are shy or nervous, those that are reactive, those that have aggression issues, those whose owners aren't the best.

EXACTLY!

As I said in my original post there are INSUFFICIENT HOMES for dogs which have NO issues, yet people keep dogs alive for their OWN beliefs not for any other reason in many cases.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Smokeybear: I really cant believe your post. I am glad you don't breed....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Which makes the decision harder , I wonder about what age do you see or suspect a deaf pup.

They dont really start to individualise till around 3/4 wks, I suppose about 4, you may suspect a deaf pup.

I would think the decision to euthanize , would be very hard at that age, but still would not condemn anyone for making it.
Breeders. Where there is a possibility of deafness like in our whites, take a pup Into a nice quiet room at 4 weeks & try it out there. You cant tell when running when with siblings as tbey all tumble about together & copy each other i think most Boxer breeders do this if they have white pups.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I am very glad I do not breed either.

But that is one of the many ways I contribute to dogs!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Breeders. Where there is a possibility of deafness like in our whites, take a pup Into a nice quiet room at 4 weeks & try it out there. You cant tell when running when with siblings as tbey all tumble about together & copy each other i think most Boxer breeders do this if they have white pups.
My friend i mention first noticed when they were out & about, Shed call them the hearing ones could turn & focas the def ones (who were losing hearing at the time) would just spin, not knowing were the noise was coming from.

This wasnt white based deafness, infact out of the litter these two were the darker pups
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
My friend i mention first noticed when they were out & about, Shed call them the hearing ones could turn & focas the def ones (who were losing hearing at the time) would just spin, not knowing were the noise was coming from.

This wasnt white based deafness, infact out of the litter these two were the darker pups
Where they collies? I only ask as you have them ive known two deaf collies, both were white & one there was a question as to whether she was all collie - she was certainly clever enough . She was deaf in one ear & partially in the other although you would never
have known it

Second was blue eyed white collie, nervous little dog except with her owner & then she was 100% totally focused on
him. Then it could be said of a lot of dogs, bit nervy when owner out of sight.

Did your friend find homes for her deaf pups?
Page 11 of 27 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »