Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 08:34 AM
so cute!!!!

no 0 used to want one but
1. - mum hates themn
2 - havent got time

when i have kids they are having rats instead of hamsters lol ive got 4 hammys and theya re a waste of space all they do is bite and sleep lmao!
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I used to have rats. They really are very smart, clean and friendly. I miss having them, but that's the problem, they aren't very long lived.

Here's some pics of my "original three". Willis, Charlie and The Other One. LOL

Muddy4Paws
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Gorgeous rats!

I found a new little man to bring home today so I now own 2 boys, I originally had 2 males but one tried to kill the other and left him too scared to eat or drink so I basically had to handfeed him better again, Hes been alone for 3 months and now I spotted another male siamese dumbo! So he gave me the look.. :P He came home with me, They have both settled incredably well and have been snoozing together in a hammock for the past hour =D

[IMG][/IMG]

The white stripe on his nose isn't just the photo light it really is on his nose, Very cute white stripe. He still has no name though!
Sorry for the rubbish photo, I dont want to bother him too much! Hes so gentle and is very easily handled, He was from a pet shop but he was older than the rest and was being overlooked so I had to have him. Im a strong believer in that a pet picks you, rather than you picking them. I really think he did. lol
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2007, 06:43 PM
What cute little Rats I wanted a mouse when I was younger but my mother got a fish instead
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I used to keep rats til lthe degus took over my life, i had quite a few over the years and still miss the little guys as they were so much fun. My last pair used to wait every morning for their cornflakes

On a side note and i don't want to sound patronising or anything but you should really quarantine new rats away from existing ones for a month or so to make sure they are disease free. I used to work as a vet nurse and i met a girl who lost her whole family of ratties to a bacterial virus rats can carry that attacks the lungs and immune system so its always best to air on the side of caution
Muddy4Paws
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I know your right about the quarentine, I dont really know why I didnt do it. It was a stupid thing to do. If I see anything wrong with any of them they are going straight to the vet. I think its guilt that took over really, the fact he was alone and I just didnt want him to be a lone rat forever.
Muddy4Paws
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2007, 05:21 PM
You got me thinking now. Should I take them to the vet for a check up anyway? The only change I've noticed in my rat is that he got more energy and plays alot more Is it anything that can be undetectable for me?
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I think we have all been there i know i have in the past with mice and luckily nothing ever went wrong Since meeting the lady i mentioned i have heard a lot of other horror stories so since then i'm an advocate of quarantining to be on the safe side

I would just keep an eye on them, chances are there is nothing wrong with the newbie and either way if there was it would have already been passed on. Just keep a close eye out for symptoms usually snuffling, sneezing or a snotty nose (aside from the usual snottyness rats get if you know what i mean, its got a scientific name that i can't think of at the moment). At first sign of any of the above consult your vet to be on the safe side as the earlier things are caught the easier they tend to be to treat

It sounds like your existing rat is loving his new buddy which is wonderful news
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >