Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 11:54 AM

problems :-(

can anyone help.
yesterday, jazz showed that she is still holding a lot of 'stress' from giving birth, when she had the pups the first one had to be removed manually (still born) and forcefully by the vet and she screamed with the pain (and for a Stafford that has to be extreme pain to get a reaction like that !! ), i know she is still a bit wary of strangers going to her back end, but yesterday at the show she actually cowered, the judge even said to her (although she didnt know why she is like this) 'i am not going to hurt you, its ok' so she could see that Jazz was scared by her being behind her and feeling her back legs etc.
Is there any way of getting her over this or would it be kinder just not to show her and put her through this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Emma
quite a few staffys in the ring will cower when their back end is gone over- even males may sometimes "drop their backend" when touched......
Gus sometimes still does it

Just to let you know that Jazz isnt on her own there
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Emma this is what started off Stars fear of being touched too Eventually she got so scared of being prodded about she ended up snapping at the vet.

Shadowboxer gave me some great advice about dealing with it.

Me personally I would not show her again until Jazz was comfortable with people touching her.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 12:10 PM
thanks Lel

the judge said to us yesterday that all she can say is 'more practice' !!

we came last in each class and still came home with 3 rosettes 2 2nds and a 3rd
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Jayne will have some tips cos I asked her about Gus doing it ages ago- will see if I can find the post

how where your nerves yesterday ? At least the first shows out the way- well done you and Jazz
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Keep deliberately touching her back end at home and treating her with something nice when you do so.When shes ok with you doing it get other family members to do it,then freinds etc until shes ok...she'll be ok with some nice gentle 'retraining'
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 01:29 PM
same as Nikki

touch her back end as much as you can and dont make a fuss of it. so she dont think its anything diffrent. as soon as you can do it with out her dropping get the kids to do it and your friends and any1 she knows.

and progress from there
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi Emms can I elaborate a little on Archers and Bobbies posts, it is all about negative and positive association, you need to replace the bad experiences remembered by Jazz with good ones. So at every opportunity 'stand' Jazz (do you show on the table or floor do whichever one applies) and run your hands all over her (so you are not drawing attention to one particular spot)gently but with confidence all the while talking in a happy bright voice, then lots of fuss and tipbit as you finish. Now get other 'trusted' family member to do it while you distract with a titbit , then get anyone to do it . Jazz needs to realise good things happen when she is handled It could take a time to get Jazz over the fear but it can be done. I was once showing a young cocker dog and a judge feeling if he 'was entire' really scared and hurt him and it took me ages to get his trust back
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 07:59 PM
thanks for the feedback guys, i will try all you have suggested and post progress
jayne
Dogsey Senior

30-12-2004, 12:42 AM
hi emma...well i agree with most that has been written...but id also try this.... get who ever you want to go over her...tell them to start at headect like judge would wen your in ring....after they have fin going over her front and its time for you to move round to her front as you would in ring...they are then going over her shoulders....hope you follow what i mean. just as they go to go round her ribs and work there way back to her back end... at this time you are still in front ov jazz holding her head. now pickup her right leg just as they are going to go near her back end...this will confuse jazz and will break her concentration at someone being behind her...do anythingwiththe leg lift it up and place it any where you want...nxt time do it with diff leg..and soon...few times and hey presto...problem solved lol...i hope... time and patience...is the most important thing... jayne
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >