Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Anyone know about blood titres

Can anyone explain blood titre tests for me.Im now being told that if the result comes back anywhere over 0 the dog does not need vaccinating.Is this correct?I heard on here that it depends on wether the dog has been in contact with the disease as to what result it will get.Im in discussion with a group trying to stop people over vaccinating there dogs and they are saying that people should do these titre tests.
Anyone know anything??????
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2013, 09:00 PM
No, but it is something I am interested in finding out about. My last vets were less than useless, but the ones I am with now are quite good at this sort of stuff, and I have Mabs due for her yearly booster, so will talk to them about it when Lona goes for her scan. I usually vax every 3 years with the girls, and the youngsters have theirs when they are babies and again a year later, then that is it for 3 years, so it is in my mind to find out more about it. There are so many different opinions that I got confused reading about it and gave up
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
This is the new product that these people are pushing Biogal’s ImmunoComb®.

I have 8 dogs here and they all have only ever had there puppy vacs.the oldest is now 7 years old.I also take puppies from the local rescue untill they have had their puppy vaccs and then they go back to be adopted.On several occasions these puppies have had parvo.Not once have i had one of my dogs come down with this disease and yet they have been directly in contact with it.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 09:33 AM
My dog can't have boosters and i enquired about titre once and it's not just one test they have to have a titre test for each thing they would of had a booster for so around 3 or 4 things and they were £40 for each test.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by JackieandMia View Post
My dog can't have boosters and i enquired about titre once and it's not just one test they have to have a titre test for each thing they would of had a booster for so around 3 or 4 things and they were £40 for each test.
Utter rubbish, your vet obviously read the form wrong which many do I am afraid. Further down the list from each one tested individually is the price to test for all together, which works out almost the same price as the individual ones.

When you get the results they will come on a piece of paper with your readings and a scale telling you whether they need a booster, are borderline so will need one within.......... they state the timescale or if no booster is needed at all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Titre testing does not tell you if your dog needs a booster. Titres, or circulating antibodies are an immune triggered response to memory cells. The memory cells are what is effectively the dogs immunity. You CANNOT measure memory cells. When a dog is exposed to disease or infection, the memory cells will trigger an immune response, therefore you will get a high titre count at that time. In a time where the dog has not been exposed to anything, the titre count will be low, FALSELY thinking the dog needs a booster when it doesn't.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Utter rubbish, your vet obviously read the form wrong which many do I am afraid. Further down the list from each one tested individually is the price to test for all together, which works out almost the same price as the individual ones.

When you get the results they will come on a piece of paper with your readings and a scale telling you whether they need a booster, are borderline so will need one within.......... they state the timescale or if no booster is needed at all.
I was only repeating what she told me i have no idea how it works because it was pointless me even having her tested because no matter what results came back she still can never have boosters.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I was only repeating what she told me i have no idea how it works because it was pointless me even having her tested because no matter what results came back she still can never have boosters.
Sorry didn't mean it to sound like I mean't you talk utter rubbish, I mean't what the vet said . Just so many vets say this to get people to booster again or because they simply don't read the form properly.

I can not have Lily boostered again either.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Sorry didn't mean it to sound like I mean't you talk utter rubbish, I mean't what the vet said . Just so many vets say this to get people to booster again or because they simply don't read the form properly.

I can not have Lily boostered again either.
It's ok i understood what you mean't i did't take offence

She didn't tell me it to get me to booster as she was one one who told me Mia could never have a booster again it was then that i asked about titres so you could be right about her not having the correct info as even vets are human and get things wrong.

Why can't Lily have boosters? Mia can't as she has an auto immune disease and she said you can't add anything to her system as it's already fighting itself. Is Lily the same?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
It's ok i understood what you mean't i did't take offence

She didn't tell me it to get me to booster as she was one one who told me Mia could never have a booster again it was then that i asked about titres so you could be right about her not having the correct info as even vets are human and get things wrong.

Why can't Lily have boosters? Mia can't as she has an auto immune disease and she said you can't add anything to her system as it's already fighting itself. Is Lily the same?
Yes Lily has had problems since her last booster and because I have already lost 3 dogs at young ages to auto immune disease my vet said it would be wise not to ever vaccinate her again.
Lily is going to be 8 next month so the vet said she probably has life long immunity anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >