Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 04:07 PM

JRT front leg limp

After Bentley had some serious fun in the snow 10 days ago, he had a big snooze and when he woke up he was a bit stiff on one of his front legs and limping a bit.
I gave him a rub and he didn't wince, pull away etc

I was away at work for the week and when I've come home for Easter break noticed he is still quite stiff in the leg after he's been resting/sleeping (OH got a clip round the ear for not noticing). We've had him on light walks the last few days, or none at all but with a JRT that's easier said than done!

He's very happy to run around, play with Nala and be his usual self, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. The joints aren't hot and he doesn't tell us off when we touch the leg like he has in the past if his paw is hurt.
Is it worth us taking him to the vet (where I can guarantee he won't limp ) for a check up? Would the vet recommend anything other than rest? All advice welcome
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
If its been a few days and he is no better then I would take him and get him checked by the vet. He may benefit from some anti inflamatry painkillers to help settle it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I agree with Madmare, I would get him checked. Better to be safe than sorry and if he can have some painkillers then that will be better for him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2013, 05:56 PM
He's very happy to run around, play with Nala and be his usual self, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. The joints aren't hot and he doesn't tell us off when we touch the leg like he has in the past if his paw is hurt.
Is it worth us taking him to the vet (where I can guarantee he won't limp ) for a check up? Would the vet recommend anything other than rest? All advice welcome
Hi Tessa based on the things you have told us I wouldn't be too worried at the moment but would certainly get it checked out if there is no improvement in a week or so.

I don't think there is much a vet would do just now except recommending no jumping up or vigorous exercise to give any injured tissue chance to heal .
Unless there is a lot of pain I am not a great fan of pain killers because they can mask pain (which is the bodies natural way to restrict movement ) and can encourage a dog to use rather than rest a limb.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:46 PM
How old is he?

We have been doing a lot of reading about OCD at the moment. Doubt its that, but worth thinking about!

He's probably just strained something
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Thank you for your replies. We're going to rest him and hope he improves but he's full of mischief and wants to run and play. We've just done some brain games with him so hopefully that will take the edge off for a while.

Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
How old is he?

We have been doing a lot of reading about OCD at the moment. Doubt its that, but worth thinking about!

He's probably just strained something
Hey Bodhi, Bentley is 3.5 years. What's OCD? As I'm sure you can't mean the kind of OCD that I have I think maybe he twisted his leg when they were playing rough in the snow. Hopefully resting him will get him right as rain again.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. The fact that it wasn't a traumatic injury he is more than likely just pulled a muscle or tweaked a tendon. Obviously rest is best but I appreciate that as he clearly isn't exactly in pain as such, it is difficult to stop him being a 'terrier'. I would only do on-lead walks at the moment to prevent him racing around and just see what he is like after the weekend.