Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 03:13 AM

Weight Gain

Ivan has been here for over a month now and I find he's a bit thin. He has gained a little bit of weight (5 lbs the last time we checked) but could use a bit more. The problem is that he's got a very sensitive stomach even if I start off slow. He doesn't get full blown diarrhea but not completely solid either. Same thing if I add a third small meal in the afternoon, he gets soft stools.

Any ideas on how to get Ivan to gain a bit more weight without upsetting his stomach?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Have you tried raw tripe, as that's a good weight gain food? The easiest is the frozen blocks from P@H at about £1 a packet. I doubt very much if this would upset his tum either and most dogs love it. You're right though, if you start over feeding you will always get the softer poops. Good luck with Ivan I hope you manage to get a bit more weight on him.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
You could also look into a Hyperallergenic diet.
This article may help, with food suggestions available in Canada.
http://turtlewoman.hubpages.com/hub/...ood-and-Treats
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Have you tried raw tripe, as that's a good weight gain food? The easiest is the frozen blocks from P@H at about £1 a packet. I doubt very much if this would upset his tum either and most dogs love it. You're right though, if you start over feeding you will always get the softer poops. Good luck with Ivan I hope you manage to get a bit more weight on him.
I have raw green tripe here!
I'm guessing I should start off by just giving him a little piece at first?

Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You could also look into a Hyperallergenic diet.
This article may help, with food suggestions available in Canada.
http://turtlewoman.hubpages.com/hub/...ood-and-Treats
Ivan is a foster dog of mine and the rescue always uses the same food. I'll send them an e-mail to see if we can get him something else if the tripe doesn't work.

Thank you guys for the help.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Green tripe is the best tripe to feed, but remember NOT to cook it or you'll regret it!!! If you introduce it slowly over 3 or 4 days, you can then maybe swap one whole meal with just the tripe? It really is brilliant for putting on weight.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm going to go defrost some right now!
Thank you.