Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Scooby is struggling.

Not sure whether this belongs in here or in dog training and behaviour.

Scooby has had another incident where he failed to recognise people he's known for just over three years.

He went to my Dad's on the weekend as normal. Then Saturday night he decided he didn't recognise my Dad. He disappeared off to the other end of the house and wouldn't go near him. I told my Dad not to touch him as he will bite in this situation, especially a man.

Eventually Scooby went upstairs and hid down the side of the toilet (his safe place). Dad left him to it but after an hour there was a lot of crashing noises from upstairs so Dad went to check on him. Scooby seemed quite out of it and Dad said he struggled on his legs for about half an hour after. He said it reminded him of Binky who was epileptic.

Now obviously we can't be sure if this was a seizure as by the time Dad got there Scoob had stopped, he could have just got stuck although it doesn't explain the lack of co-ordination.

The next day Scoob was fine until around lunchtime when he became Velcro dog and decided he was going to guard Dad from everything.

I wasn't present for any of this as I was at home with the youngsters. Dad's keeping Scooby with him until Wednesday, I think he is worried there is something major coming and he wants to be there for Scooby especially after he wasn't able to be there for Binky at the end

Scooby has had basic bloods done and they have come back normal.

I just don't know where to go from here. I would prefer Scoob was with me, where I can keep an eye on him. I know it means more stress for him because he's kennelled while I'm at work but atleast I can be with him all day. He will be spending tomorrow with my grandma and I'm worried how she'll cope with him if something went wrong.

I know him inside out and as much as my dad loves him He doesn't read him like I do.

He's never had a fit before and he turns 15 this year. My biggest fear is a brain tumour. I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

P.S Mods please move if in the wrong section.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Nothing I can really say Jen - so just sending you (((hugs))) xx
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Thank you Malka. I miss him so much when he's not here and to know that he's afraid is awful. He's my boy and I love him so much. xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
What an awful dilemna for you - I have no advice, but just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you, and that I hope that Scooby settles with no more "episodes".
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I wonder if Scooby is having mini-strokes? I am not sure how the vet would test for these. When we lost our 15 year old last year, when we took her in and the vet took one look at her and commented that the way she was holding her head suggested a stroke. I was too distraught at the time to ask what he meant - but he'd obviously spotted something. I do recall that in the days before we had her pts she'd stand in the middle of the garden in a very odd posture with a look of utter confusion on her face - brings tears to my eyes as I write this.

Good luck with Scooby.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi Jen, it sound a bit like Canine Cognative Disfunction, this is treatable with medication.
The symptoms of CCD vary from dog to dog and in Scooby's case they could be exacerbated by his failing eye sight and hearing which may adding to his confusion.
http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-cognit...yndrome.html#b

Has Scooby had his heart checked, sometimes age related heart failure can result in seizure like episodes because an insufficiency of blood is reaching the brain.

One of my previous dogs had both these problems.

ETA Amy's heart failure caused seziure like episodes where she staggered and fell over then struggled to get to her feet. She looked confused and fearful but remained concious. She was prescribed a drug (Ramipril)which improved her circulation and blood flow to the brain and the episodes stopped.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What an awful dilemna for you - I have no advice, but just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you, and that I hope that Scooby settles with no more "episodes".
Thanks, he's come back tonight and seems ok apart from being a bit lame on his front right. He greeted me in his normal over the top happy fashion!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I'm sorry.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I wonder if Scooby is having mini-strokes? I am not sure how the vet would test for these. When we lost our 15 year old last year, when we took her in and the vet took one look at her and commented that the way she was holding her head suggested a stroke. I was too distraught at the time to ask what he meant - but he'd obviously spotted something. I do recall that in the days before we had her pts she'd stand in the middle of the garden in a very odd posture with a look of utter confusion on her face - brings tears to my eyes as I write this.

Good luck with Scooby.
I'm sorry to read about your girl. Scoobs head seems normal but he is still lacking a certain amount of co-ordination. He does walk in to rooms and seem to forget why he's there. He fell when jumping off the bed earlier which he has never done before.

I've tried to see if he is in pain but he doesn't show anything. He was trialled on onsior last year to see if he was in pain anywhere but it didn't make any difference to him.

If his behaviour was constant I'd say he had some form of dementia but it's not so I really don't know what to make of it.

I will mention mini-strokes to the vet next time we go which I think will be soon.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Can't offer any advice, just (((hugs)))
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jen, it sound a bit like Canine Cognative Disfunction, this is treatable with medication.
The symptoms of CCD vary from dog to dog and in Scooby's case they could be exacerbated by his failing eye sight and hearing which may adding to his confusion.
http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-cognit...yndrome.html#b

Has Scooby had his heart checked, sometimes age related heart failure can result in seizure like episodes because an insufficiency of blood is reaching the brain.

One of my previous dogs had both these problems.

ETA Amy's heart failure caused seziure like episodes where she staggered and fell over then struggled to get to her feet. She looked confused and fearful but remained concious. She was prescribed a drug (Ramipril)which improved her circulation and blood flow to the brain and the episodes stopped.
Hi Mini, I hadn't even thought of CCD. I did consider asking the vet if we could try vivitonin, I always refer to it as the universal pick me up and it does sound an awful lot like Ramipril.

The vet did listen to Scooby's heart and said although it was beating very fast (Scooby hates the vets) it sounded fine but it is hard for them to tell since he's generally panting a lot as well.

He has slowed down a lot recently and isn't really interested in going for long walks. On days when he's happy he's really on form and interactive but on the bad days he just seems terrified
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >