Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbo84
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Car Sickness

I have a 6 month old beagle whom I have had since 8 weeks old. From day one he has been going in and out the car on short and long journeys without one problem until a couple of weeks ago when he was out of the blue sick.

Nothing had changed in the routine at all, he still sits on the front seat with a harness with the window slightly ajar.

Almost every time he goes in the car now he is sick whether it be a short journey or long one.

It is fairly essential he goes in cars and is happy as we travel a lot with him. What can I do to stop or cure this problem?

Thank you in advance
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Kimbo , a dog being sick in the car can be due to fear or motion sickness .
In this instance because your puppy has been fine until now it sounds like motion sickness.
This can be helped by preventing your dog from looking out of the window, a crate of either fabric or one covered with a towel may help.
Some people have success with ginger , you can get capsules from health food shops or online. There is also the option of travel sickness pills from the vet.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Some suggestions:

Don’t feed your dog any food at least an hour prior to a going for a drive in the car;

Do not put your dog in the front seat - this usually makes their motion sickness worse! Put them in the back seat or back cargo space - as Mini suggested you could also use a crate in the car?

Don’t be upset if your dog throws-up - adjust your expectations - this is going to take repeated trips to cure
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I said this on another thread the other day

We found with Mollie it depends where she travels in the car, on the front seat she wee's herself in fear, back seat no matter how she is contained whimpers and whines and after a few minutes vomits. Boot area, no problem at all she leaps in and loves going places.

Have you tried yours in different areas of the car ?