Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Contaminated Pre-packaged Raw Food

I always thought raw meat had salmonella. I was advised of a recall for salmonella contamination in a pre-packaged frozen raw dog food.

Does this make sense? I understand the concern with processed foods but not with raw.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I have not heard of a recall for pre-packaged raw food but the FDA have issued a Press Release regarding the possible salmonella contamination of Natura dry foods

Natura Dry Pet Foods

listing all those relevant.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I always thought raw meat had salmonella. I was advised of a recall for salmonella contamination in a pre-packaged frozen raw dog food.

Does this make sense? I understand the concern with processed foods but not with raw.
Not at all. Raw free range chicken for instance should not have salmonella certainly in a quantity sufficient to cause a problem. Battery chicken does sometimes have high levels. With all frozen raw dog food though you should always assume the worst and take the necessary precautions of putting utensils, bowls etc. in the dishwasher, preferably having a separate freezer for the dog food, or use lock and lock boxes, and prepare the food bowls well away from kitchen surfaces and other human areas of food preparation.