Dificult to groom

I own a bichon tools.frisee he is two years old afraid of grooming
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Ruben1951 View Post
Hi the best thing I have found is a glove with grooming attached to it,you can use it like you were stroking him,and most dogs enjoy the attention,and then gradually introduce the real thing,the worst thing with this type of hangup is usually there feet,so I pick up the feet dont do anything,just stroke the feet squeeze the feet gently,eventuallythey do get to like it.crystalgirl
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I have two Tibetan Terriers (lots of grooming needed) and one really wasn't keen in spite of me grooming them a little daily since they were 8 weeks old.

I tend to groom them in the evenings when they are more relaxed. Make it a pleasant experience for him and give him a treat and praise him when he is quiet. It may also be easier it you buy a rubber non-slip bath mat and put it and him on a table. He is unlikely to want to jump off (but make sure he can't). A little bit of grooming daily and he should get use to it.

Have you had him since a puppy?
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Welcome.

I had a rescue a few years ago how was terrified of being groomed. For 4mths I just pretened to groom her, using my hand. In the end she loved to be groomed.

Good luck.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
As a Groomer I hear a lot of owners say this when they first bring their dogs in. It is usually when the dog is a high maintenance breed (such as yours). It is very often because the owner is not grooming the dog often enough, not having the right brushes/combs, not using the correct technique, are a bit of a wet blanket about it, or a combination of all four.
Find yourself a good groomer and get them to show you how to handle your dog so that it feels more confident. I would also recommend that you keep your dog shortish until he/she is happy with grooming. You dog should also be professionally groomed every 4-6 weeks. If you leave it longer and don't brush your dog at home, every time you visit a groomer it will be distressing for the dog
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ruben1951 View Post
ohhh I can hear you, I have (hopefully had) the same problem with mine
an Maltese x Pekinese, with an obviously very thin and sensitive skin
I tried to brush she from up as she was a pup, but she never got used to it
it was always a fight and even got worse
already the slightest pulling at only one hair let drive her crazy and she attacked the brush like a fighting dog
and I really tried everything, different combs, brushes...
nothing was working
so I almost gave up and just cut off the single knots she got and when it got worse and her fur got quite mattet, I just shor her with a scissors, which is very difficult as her skin is so fine and if you only pull up one hair, the skin comes up and you could cut her
but there she keeps very quiet and hold on

but even then, whem the fur is off, when I came with a brush, she was already quite looking suspicious at it
and only by touching her with the bush, she already startet to snarl at it and went mad about

but yet, I didn't give up completely
and I bought a brush for babies, a small one made of hairs of goat, which does not really make sense for to brush her, but just for to take her the fears of brushes

I showed it to her very carefully and just started to stroke her with it
even right over her face, nose, eyes... as it is sooo soft
slowly she learnt, that a "brush" has not to be her enemy
and even enjoyed it to get "brushed" by it
then I started slowly to swap the baby brush with the real one

her hair is getting longer and longer again
but it seems, her fears of a brush has gone and she even seems to enjoy to get brushed now
of course, I still and always have to brush her carefully and at the end, the "massage" with that baby brush is duty

and a goody afterwards, as she was sooo brave as well
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
ohhh I can hear you, I have (hopefully had) the same problem with mine
an Maltese x Pekinese, with an obviously very thin and sensitive skin
I tried to brush she from up as she was a pup, but she never got used to it
it was always a fight and even got worse
already the slightest pulling at only one hair let drive her crazy and she attacked the brush like a fighting dog
and I really tried everything, different combs, brushes...
nothing was working
so I almost gave up and just cut off the single knots she got and when it got worse and her fur got quite mattet, I just shor her with a scissors, which is very difficult as her skin is so fine and if you only pull up one hair, the skin comes up and you could cut her
but there she keeps very quiet and hold on

but even then, whem the fur is off, when I came with a brush, she was already quite looking suspicious at it
and only by touching her with the bush, she already startet to snarl at it and went mad about

but yet, I didn't give up completely
and I bought a brush for babies, a small one made of hairs of goat, which does not really make sense for to brush her, but just for to take her the fears of brushes

I showed it to her very carefully and just started to stroke her with it
even right over her face, nose, eyes... as it is sooo soft
slowly she learnt, that a "brush" has not to be her enemy
and even enjoyed it to get "brushed" by it
then I started slowly to swap the baby brush with the real one

her hair is getting longer and longer again
but it seems, her fears of a brush has gone and she even seems to enjoy to get brushed now
of course, I still and always have to brush her carefully and at the end, the "massage" with that baby brush is duty

and a goody afterwards, as she was sooo brave as well
Hi I have something that is inoffensive fits in the hand and unknots it is white plastic,have had it years on itis a faint label that I think says Matta,saw it being demonstrated at Crufts,it doesnt look like a brush,so the dog sits there,you find a tangle you insert tthe Matta job done no fuss,then brush afterwards, even the tummy crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi I have something that is inoffensive fits in the hand and unknots it is white plastic,have had it years on itis a faint label that I think says Matta,saw it being demonstrated at Crufts,it doesnt look like a brush,so the dog sits there,you find a tangle you insert tthe Matta job done no fuss,then brush afterwards, even the tummy crystalgirl
Hi Have found the tool

http://www.mikkipet.com/?page_id=33&paged=2

crystalgirl
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
I really recommend the Kong zoom brush, you can get a long or short hair version and it's great for my stroppy long haired terriers
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
I really recommend the Kong zoom brush, you can get a long or short hair version and it's great for my stroppy long haired terriers
That is totally unsuitable for a Bichon coat, it will not 'brush' it and get rid of any tangles and will in fact encourage matting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >