Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Any updates?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Wassily once ate a massive bone (it was supposed to be a new years treat, I wasn't there and my mum wasn't quick enough to take it away from him before he ate it all in one go) and he got really constipated on new years day at 6am (all vets closet etc.) so my mum rung the emergency vet line and they said to feed sunflower oil. She did that, he lapped it up and about an hour later or so the bone came back out covered in oil and he was fine again.
So if he gets constipated, that would be a solution. I hope the dog's ok!
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Shriley View Post
Beef vertebrae are the only bones i've ever had issues with, usually from oxtail, and I do not feed it.

My older dog got a whole vertebra lodged across the back of her mouth and absolutely panicked, luckily I was able to get it out, but we both got a terrible scare!

Having said that, my older girl ate many an oxtail before this and was able to digest the bone without problems, although she did tend to get a bit constipated.

Hope all is well with this dog today
Thanks.I totally agree with you and would never feed my dogs these types of bones.

Im told the dog is as he normallly is this morning so nothing really to report.Fingers crossed all will be ok.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Just a quick up date.My friends dog appears to be fine after eating the rather large bone whole.Thankyou to everyone for their input.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2013, 10:44 AM
The most irritating thing about this man who is preventing his dogs eating bones, is that if they had been allowed bones from early on they wouldn't think everything could be swallowed and would naturally have gnawed at it and this would never have happened!!!!
Was wondering the other day, would he let them have large raw carrots, as I often give them to mine.
Glad to hear the dog is OK, and I hope it has shut him up, though I doubt it!!!!
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Yes he would im sure let them have any kind of veg,its bones he is adament that they cant have.I think if she hadnt tried to take the bone of the dog he would have carried on chewing it.My feeling now is that he has seen that his own dogs actually can cope with bones so why not let them have some but safer ones than big vertebrae.My own dogs had sheep heads yesterday and i was telling this family about it.They couldnt believe that my dogs actually eat the whole thing.Happy happy dogs.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
I tried mine with a pigs head but they wouldn't touch it, it lay there in the shavings staring accusingly at me
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeh i tried a pigs head but they didnt like it either.It took them anout 10 minutes before they were interested in the sheeps head as well.Once my pitbull started chewing at it they all started on theirs and now they just go mad for them.I keep telling them its a treat and only once a week.I might try a pig head now they know about all the goodies inside a head!!!!!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4