Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I've had dobies myself years ago and they are quite big dogs, I wouldn't like to lay my life on the line on it, but I've heard of dogs swallowing bigger stuff than that (TV remote controls ) and it has come out the other end.
Wow...a remote control coming out the other end...I'd like to see that.....errr...actually, no maybe I don't want to see that!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Mine get the meat off and the puppy plays with them after that, next day I go round clearing them all up, ready for the next lot
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Dobes are a good size dog. If the bone was the size of a goolf ball I wouldn't be all that concerned unless the dog is gagging or trying to vomit it back up with no result for a long time.

Have you gotten any updates on how the dog is acting now?

My guys have swallowed pieces bigger than a golf ball with no problems but they have been eating raw for a while now. I've seen the odd chicken bone come out whole but nothing as big as a vertibrae. Those come out fully digested

Maybe you can suggest feeding the dog smaller bones like turkey necks for now (unless they're already doing that) until the dog learns to chew the bones properly.

The acid in a dogs digestive tract should be able to digest it without problems.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Dobes are a good size dog. If the bone was the size of a goolf ball I wouldn't be all that concerned unless the dog is gagging or trying to vomit it back up with no result for a long time.

Have you gotten any updates on how the dog is acting now?

My guys have swallowed pieces bigger than a golf ball with no problems but they have been eating raw for a while now. I've seen the odd chicken bone come out whole but nothing as big as a vertibrae. Those come out fully digested

Maybe you can suggest feeding the dog smaller bones like turkey necks for now (unless they're already doing that) until the dog learns to chew the bones properly.

The acid in a dogs digestive tract should be able to digest it without problems.
Oh boy,i have told them and told them till im blue in the face.Then she goes and gets these bones which i think are unsafe.The dog is acting normal as far as i know.Good to know that you think it will pass noramlly.Only time one of mine ate something this big he vomited it up a few hours later.Now the husband is saying the dogs cant ever have bones again.Poor dogs is all i can say.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Oh is it the same ones you wrote about, I was wondering. Mine have beef shoulder blades and shin bones and stuff, a good thing to start them on initially, but they also last them ages.
You can only tell them, if they don't want to take it in you can do no more
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:12 PM
You are quite right.I just feel so sorry for the dogs.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 10:15 PM
People are like that though, in the end you can only do so much. My friends all think I'm mad that I turned down a home for one of my puppies because the woman couldn't 'do' raw feeding, and I couldn't bear the thought of him not enjoying bones and his meals in general and being confined to dried food sprayed with stuff to make it appetising
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:17 PM
What would happen if she kept feeding bone even though the husband said no? My husband knows better than to give me limitations when it comes down to my dogs, lol.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 10:19 PM
LOL we went down this road the other week, have you got a link to your thread about it Bala's Mum then Timber can catch up
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I dont know how to do a link to it but i called it "boneless raw,possible or not?????" its in the raw feeding section on the bottom of the first page.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >