Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:10 PM

Swallowed vertibrae bone

Hi Afriend has just rung me and asked for help.She has a doberman that has just eaten a beef vertibrae.She tried to stop him but couldnt and apparently he really struggled to swallow it and started choking.I gues it must have been big.What would you guys recommend she does.I suugested she makes him vomit or she gives him apple cider vinigar to help break the bone down.She is really worried that it will cause an obstruction.Her vet has said to just keep an eye on him but as he already has a history of obstruction i feel she should do something to try to help her dog.Any ideas?????
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:11 PM
p.s
this dog is not used to bones.the bone was raw.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't feed raw but I would go with the vet and just keep an eye on him. I wouldn't make him vomit, what if that does more damage bringing it back up?!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Obviously not used to raw because he would have crunched it. If he hasn't actually choked then it will have made its way into the digestive system and will more than likely be broken down by the acids in there. I did once see an entire chicken wing come out the other end with my dogs, never seen it before or since, but it does show they can pass quite big things if needed. There is nothing anyone can do but wait.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:38 PM
thankyou.Im told it was the size of a golf ball.You dont think this may get stuck in the intestine?
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Obviously not used to raw because he would have crunched it. If he hasn't actually choked then it will have made its way into the digestive system and will more than likely be broken down by the acids in there. I did once see an entire chicken wing come out the other end with my dogs, never seen it before or since, but it does show they can pass quite big things if needed. There is nothing anyone can do but wait.
Ha you know which person and dogs this is dont you???The ones that the husband wouldnt allow the dogs to have bones.He gave in and allowed her to feed these beef vertibrae.I told her not to but there you go.Have to agree with the husband on this one.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I've had dobies myself years ago and they are quite big dogs, I wouldn't like to lay my life on the line on it, but I've heard of dogs swallowing bigger stuff than that (TV remote controls ) and it has come out the other end.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:53 PM
wow not heard of that one before.Must have been painfull!!!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2013, 08:54 PM
It is worrying if you're not used to your dogs eating bones, mine have all different shapes and sizes of bones and I have only ever once seen that chicken wing come out
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Same with my dogs.They get all sorts but i wont feed these vertibrea as my malinois swallowed onewhen he was a puppy.He was fine.he was sick a few hours later and brought it up.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >