Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Can dogs eat pork?

Not a very good title, LOL. I know they can, I mean should they? If not, why not. I don't mean raw pork. I have little bit left over that has been reheated once so we shan't eat it. I hate throwing food away. Is it an old wives tale to not feed pork?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I must admit confusion on this one, I was always under the immpression they can't and the few times I have given any to mine we have very upset tummies but I am now seeing commercial dog foods containing pork. So will be interested what everyone else says.
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I give my dog pork, raw.

I think there are two concerns about pork, first that it may be fatty and potentially cause pancreatitis, an old wives tale IMO it's unusual for otherwise healthy dogs to get pancreatitis because of a fatty meal, but I gather this a point of some controversy.

The other is that pork carries trichinosis, a parasitic disease that can spread to humans. It's widely regarded now that well cooked pork and British pork is safe, though I know several raw feeders who insist on freezing pork meat for several weeks.

Personally I don't have an issue using good quality British pork.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2013, 05:51 PM
mine had leftovers from pork joint at xmas and were fine. I occasionally do it for sunday dinner and they have a bit on theirs.

I know Burns do a Pork & Potato so I guess it must be ok for them? I've never seen it in another dog food tbh
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2013, 05:57 PM
My reason for not feeding it would be because it is one of the fattiest meats.

Cypriots eat pork every day and I am sure the zillions of street dogs here live on an almost staple diet of leftover kebab and pork souvlaki from the back of the tavernas!

Have to say that the pork in Cyprus doesn't seem as fatty as it did in UK. Even minced pork - you can brown it off in a pan without getting a load of fat melting. It's even used in place of beef for traditional beef dishes here - like bolognaise and also for Kleftico (which is supposed to be slow cooked lamb) most places do it with pork.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Shriley View Post
I give my dog pork, raw.

I think there are two concerns about pork, first that it may be fatty and potentially cause pancreatitis, an old wives tale IMO it's unusual for otherwise healthy dogs to get pancreatitis because of a fatty meal, but I gather this a point of some controversy.

The other is that pork carries trichinosis, a parasitic disease that can spread to humans. It's widely regarded now that well cooked pork and British pork is safe, though I know several raw feeders who insist on freezing pork meat for several weeks.

Personally I don't have an issue using good quality British pork.
Yes, freezing, cooking or mincing pork will kill any primary pork tape worms (or rather the eggs in the primary host, meaning the pig), so I understand. British pork is well checked for signs by food inspectors. Having said that,I don't know about these days with cut backs and the horse meat scandal?

I think I'll test it this evening. There's about a tablespoonful each for the 2 dogs of cooked mince pork. I'll report back tomorrow.

Just as a matter of interest, there used to be a saying of never eat pork when there isn't an R in the month. So my grandmother told me. Probably because of no fridges in those days. That's when Wall's began making ice cream because nobody would buy pork sausages during the summer. Smart eh?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Mine have raw and cooked pork. They have raw pork ribs and veal ribs. They have boiled ham and any other cooked pork thats going!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Not a very good title, LOL. I know they can, I mean should they? If not, why not. I don't mean raw pork. I have little bit left over that has been reheated once so we shan't eat it. I hate throwing food away. Is it an old wives tale to not feed pork?
mine would get it, if it's not just spiced too hot or whatever
I wouldn't mind as she's not sensitive and loves everything but dog food!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
mine had leftovers from pork joint at xmas and were fine. I occasionally do it for sunday dinner and they have a bit on theirs.

I know Burns do a Pork & Potato so I guess it must be ok for them? I've never seen it in another dog food tbh
Hi Pork is regarded as a dirty meat in hot countries,so people dont eat it,they can get tape worm from it.My Auntie when she was pregnant,used to like the pork from the deli,reheated in gravy,she was made very ill,though saying that isnt there a saying never eat pork when the month has a R crystalgirl
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 02:31 PM
all of mine eat pork both cooked and raw. no ill effects here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >