Female 

03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
cool thank you !!
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
What can dogs eat?

Dogs can eat just about any meat! Chicken, beef, lamb, pork, rabbit, fish, deer, Pheasant, Turkey, Duck, Hare, heart, kidney, liver, etc. chicken wings, pork ribs, lamb ribs, minced, or diced. They shouldn’t eat weight-bearing bones though as they can break their teeth, and they can splinter.

I feed 2% liver a week, I feed different species, Chicken liver, Ox liver, and Lamb liver, you can mix different kinds of meat in one meal, but I would not mix raw and kibble together as they are digested at different times. However you could feed one meal raw and one meal kibble

In my opinion the best to feed... 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal (no more than 2% of which should be liver). Liver is high in Vitamin A and dogs can overdose on Vitamin A. The percentages are just rough guides though, and shouldn’t be obsessed over. You need to think about feeding lots of defiant meats, to be able to give your dog the right balance of nutrients, over a period for time say a month. As long as you are feeding the right amount of bone and meat and offal over a month, then you should be on the right track.

Bob probably gets slightly more than 10% bone, but as long as everything is ok coming out the other end then it is all good. You can over feed bone, but the only thing it will do is harden up the poo, so if poo is too hard no bone that day and if poo is too soft more bone.

Where to buy from? – I get most of Bob’s food from the supermarket Morrison is a very good place. I do get the frozen Beef green tripe form Natural Instinct and Lamb Tripe from Manifold Valley Meats you can get that online. I get whole rabbit, whitebait and duck feet, from Macros. Morrisons do “stock bones” that are perfect.... I find Manifold Valley Meats a fab place to buy from as they have a lot of variety....

How much to feed and how often?

I personally think it is best to feed 2% of a dog ideal body weight (for adult dogs), and then just adjust if the dog starts to lose weight… maybe up it to 3% and see how that goes.

I feed Bob twice a day, I think it is best to feed twice a day, just so they don’t get too hungry and also because raw digests quicker than kibble so they will feel hungry quicker than what they would do on kibble. I also give Bob a treat at about mid day of a chicken wing, or lamb spine, duck foot.

I feed veg as well which I blitz up, make them into a pulp, if you feed veg whole then it will go in one end and out the other, the dog will take no vitamins or minerals from it. You can feed just about any veg....
Vegetables particularly green leafy veg IMO should form part of a dog diet, they contain many important health promoting nutrients. The fiber your dog obtains from raw vegetables includes both soluble and insoluble fiber. Vegetables supply many other nutrients... folic acid, vitamin C, antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin, phosphorus, sodium and iron, to name a few, broccoli, spinach, celery, carrot, green bean, kale etc.

You can feed fruit but, IMO you should feed this separate as fruit has a tendency to ferment in the stomach, so I would give it 2 hours before or after anything else, I make ice cubes up with fruit in and give them to him as a bed time treat.

You can freeze food for the dog, and you can re freeze it, and you can give it frozen or part frozen, the freezing process does nothing to reduce the nutritional value of the food, and it is absolutely fine to freeze bones and carcasses.

There are some foods not to feed IMO, salmon being one as, there is a parasite that can be found in some salmon, and other fish that swim up stream and it is the parasite that can be very harmful to a dog, its called salmon poisoning... if i feed Salmon then i cook it ,also tuna contains mercury when it is in a tin, so I don’t feed that. I do feed fish, it should be oily fish, fresh like whole sprats, or it can be tin fish like pilchards, or sardines, try not to give too much of the sauce or oil...
you should give them an egg + shell now and again. And bio yogurt.

How to introduce your dog to raw

IMO it is best to just start cold turkey (excuse the pun ). I would always advise people to start by feeding chicken wings, but making sure to hold one end to make sure the dogs will crunch up the bone and not just try to swallow it! Once they are ok at crunching the bones I would introduce other food.

If your dog does not like the raw food at first you could try tacking the raw food and cook it in a pan.. (not a microwave and not the bones) every day cook it slightly less until it is raw... this will give his stomach time to adjust to the change from sterile processed food.

One thing I would say is read about it... there is a [a social network] Group called raw feeding and there are some very good books... Honeys do one called The Natural Feeding Handbook and Work Wonders: Feed your dog raw meaty bones by Tom Lonsdale.

There is also lot you can research online....

Bob has about 310g in one day, you can give them more am then pm if you like, if you feed say a chicken carcass that is say 250g then you can feed less in the next sitting. I feed about 155g am and 155g pm

Some people have a fasting day where they have a day when the dog will not get any food, this is to give the organs a rest, I don’t do this.

Your dog should be getting all he needs from the variety of foods you feed. Provide plenty of variety: it ensures your dog is getting all the nutrition it needs from different sources. I do add a supplement called Keepers mix. Coconut oil, salmon oil, and Yumove, Billy no mates, i also add things like garlic and Ginger, nuts, and herbs...

This is another good supplement Superdog Ultimate Nutrition

http://www.holisticve...

You can also add salmon oil that’s very good for the coat use grizzly salmon oil as it is made from wild salmon.

Bob's Breakfast......

103g Turkey diced
35g whitebait (oily fish)
9g Kidney
Total= 143g
30g veg Butternut Squash,
Spinach, Carrot
Keepers Mix, coconut oil, yumove, Billy no Mates

10.00am 108g Lamb spine (bone)

Bobs Dinner......
244g Chicken Carcass....
37g Veg, Butternut Squash,
Spinach, Carrot

10.00pm Banana Ice Cube

Here are some good websites to take a look at -

http://www.holisticve...

Here are some websites to buy raw food from if you don’t want to start off DIY feeding -

http://honeysrealdogf...
http://www.naturalins...
http://www.manifoldva...

Why can’t dogs digest grain?

The answer lies in its effect on the pH balance in their stomachs. Normally this is quite low (between pH1 and pH2) because only with a low pH can dogs digest raw meat and bones. Grain has the effect of elevating the pH levels and weakening the stomach acids. Weak stomach acids mean that proper digestion becomes impossible. This is why dogs fed a lot of grain (and there is a lot of grain in most processed dog food) produce high levels of waste matter (poo) it goes in one end and comes out the other.

If grain is processed in some way (rolled, soaked, heated, etc) dogs can digest a small amount, which is what dog food manufacturers rely upon.

We humans can eat carbohydrates (such as porridge or pasta) convert them to sugars and store the energy in our bodies to use later on; dogs have no capacity to do this. Grain (rice wheat, corn, etc) is much cheaper than meat and easier to process, which is why so much of it is used in manufactured dog food.

Dogs are carnivores, you only have to look at their teeth, dogs have five types of teeth, each designed to perform different and precise functions:- fang teeth to catch and kill prey and to tear off meat; front teeth to scrape meat off bones; small incisors to grab and hold; large incisors that works like scissors to cut sinews and muscles; and molars to crush bone. None of these teeth however is capable of grinding food!!! If you try to move your dogs jaw from side to side (necessary for grinding and chewing) you’ll find that it is impossible, a dogs jaw can only move up and down.

We humans have changed their outer appearance through breeding but not their internal organs or digestive systems. My dog loves to chase rabbits, squirrels, etc... if he caught it he would eat it... but I have never seen him in a corn field, filling his belly.
maxi/toby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
wow lots of ideas there thank you
i like the frozen fuit idea
in summer mainly n odd times of the year i give just ice cubes to them to cool off etc but never thought of that ... silly really!!

also is it ok to give frozen wings etc as iv read some people do as a snack etc ?? iv stumbled apon morrisons they do a vast range for dogs i think
trotters pork cheeke pork ribs heart liver kidney
also lamb bones heart and liver and beef or ox liver heart kidney bones and chicken wings theigh etc only issue is uu can't rely on them having any in ... last we there was no heart at all across the 3 animals ..... etc

think shop with back up in freezer goes for most places i suppose x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2