Our sister sites
Our sister sites
drc239
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Kennel Cough that won't go away!

Hi! And help!
I'm brand new to this forum. On 02/23/11, we adopted a gorgeous rescue pup from Tenn (she was born 11/22/10) and we named her Bindi. Within a few days of her arrival in CT, she began to cough. I took her to the vet and he confirmed that she had kennel cough. And warned that KC hits puppies & elderly dogs the hardest. Where a healthy dog could kick KC within days to a couple of weeks completely, a puppy is more likely to end up with secondary infections ... which could make the kennel cough last longer, upwards of a month. This proved to be true in Bindi's case. Her nose soon began to run with a yellowish discharge. The vet put her on Clavamox for 10 days. It didn't help. She was then put on a 2nd round of clavamox for 14 days. It didn't help. Now she is finishing up a round of Cefa-Drops. Her nose doesn't seem to be running anymore ... but her horrible cough just won't quit! It's been a month and a half - a few vet visits- and a whole lotta money later (which hurts the wallet but she is worth it). I did sign her up for Pet Health insurance, but of course, it doesn't cover kennel cough. I feel so bad for her. Has anyone else ever been through this? ... She's had X-Rays and vaccinations ... The vet seems sure this is kennel cough, nothing more based on X-rays. I just don't know what to try anymore. I think of us humans with colds when a cough won't quit. Our chests hurt. By the sounds of her cough, I can't imagine it doesn't hurt by now. I love our dog. Can anyone relate or offer any tips? I have tried to bring her into the bathroom to breath in hot steam. I've tried a spoonful of maple syrup to sooth the throat. I removed her collar completely. I try to restrict her energy so that she rests more. But the cough won't let go and is especially horrendous in the morning.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Could it be lung or heart worm?
drc239
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't know. She was vaccinated rather quickly after she was born. The rescue had her Mom spayed after she gave birth. Wouldn't the vet have been able to spot it on the X-Ray? They took two.
But also, there were 5 other known cases of kennel cough that came off of the same transport because I looked into it. The transport had at least 50 dogs on it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi there, and you really are going through the mill with your new puppy aren't you, but well done you for having a rescue dog and for caring so much.

Kennel cough can sometimes be an absolute pig to shift, although in most cases it is over and done with fairly quickly. It seems that you have drawn a short straw. Was the medication that your vet gave antibiotics? Occasionally it will take two or three courses to finally knock the coughing on the head - what typically happens is that once a course is finished the cough seems a little better, but then becomes much worse again.

Unfortunately, you may just have to keep going back to the vet until this clears up once and for all. I think that some people use children's cough medicine to good effect, just to relieve the symptoms a little.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi - we had a young Boxer who took it from her KC vaccination & it lasted 3 months. You just need to keep getting antibiotics from the vet until it clears. Some people give a little honey on a spoon several times a day to help with the cough & soothe the throat. Be careful not to give too much as honey can work the bowels, it does help coughs & throats & is a natural antiseptic. Puppy size of a Boxer pup i would give half teasp three times a day.

Hugs from us. x
drc239
New Member!
Female 

21-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Thank you to all who replied to my post (and anyone else who may still add something because maybe you're going through this too!). It looks like we'll keep going back to the vet. After being put on antibiotics 3 times, Bindi's nasal discharge looks like it's pretty much gone but the cough is still awful.

And Velvetboxers ... thanks for letting me know what you went through. To hear someone else say that their dog dealt with KC for 3 months (and recovered) gave me great hope. Because looking up kennel cough on Google did little to calm my fears. Most website say it's like a human cold and most dogs will recover in a few days (this terrified me since we are now on 2 months). Only a few websites say that this condition can develop into something worse and few mention that this is definitely harder on young puppies and elderly dogs who have under developed, or weakened, immune systems. And not one site has said that it's POSSIBLE that KC can last a super long time! I needed more details!! Forums like this are great for knowing that there is hope! I would, of course, never rely on a forum for a way to cure my dog ... I still need to go to a vet (even switching vets for a second opinion if need be), but I so appreciate hearing from others who love their dogs and may relate to our situation. So thanks!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Theyre all different .

Youve both been unlucky, but she has found you

Like us during sleep the phlegm will build up overnight hence why it seems so bad first thing

Had your vet given her a cough bottle?
drc239
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Hello again,
Yes, we are unlucky that she came down with this awful cough, but we are extremely lucky to have found her. Because honestly, she is the best dog I have ever known. Smart, obedient, loving, & wonderful with children!

We actually just came home from the vet. He is confident that whatever virus that she contracted in addition to the KC, and which caused the nasal discharge, is gone. She has no fever, she is gaining weight properly, and the vet said her throat looks okay- not inflamed. So now, it's just a matter of time with the cough. But he did prescribe Torbutrol (cough tablets), but I'm only to administer at night since her coughing is worst before bed and early in the morning. Let's hope the end of this cough is in sight!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Could it be lung or heart worm?
Just what I was thinking, coz the cough is predominent with this. Good luck, I bet all these vet trips have cost you a small fortune too!
drc239
New Member!
Female 

13-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I am thrilled to report that Bindi's cough has finally ended! Happy Days! It took well over 2 months and 3 course of antibiotics (also, a change in antibiotics) and we are thankfully, cough free for the past week! When the cough was bad, it was horrid. But once it started to go away, it was wonderful and it happened almost overnight. I am so grateful that she no longer suffers!

To anyone out there who has a dog suffering from kennel cough ... there is hope! And remember, puppies & older dogs may get hit with it worse than normally healthy adult dogs because their immune systems are just developing or on the decline. So don't get discouraged when you read on-line that kennel cough generally lasts 2 weeks or less ... when you know your own dog has been suffering for 2 months! With some TLC (and a good vet), your pup will get better!

Thanks to those who posted to my thread to offer support and advice! Love forums for this reason!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >