Our sister sites
Glitter
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:12 PM

My dog has had a stroke :0(

Hi all,
I haven't been on here for a while...
but today my 14 year old dog had to go to the vets and has had a stroke.
The vet gave her an injection and she has to take 2 tablets a day....they want to see her again next Monday...
The vet said that she could get better in 4 to 6 weeks....I'm not sure what happens now... Has anyone else had this experience? Do dogs recover? I know all cases are different...but just wondering....
It's sad to see such an energetic and playful dog (even at 14!) look so sad...and be sooo wobbly on her back legs...
I dont want to prolong her agony....but if there is hope she will recover....
Anyway was interested if anyone else had had this ?
thanks
xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Yes we have had dogs that have had strokes, rate of recovery depends on the individual and as to how severe the stroke was, however generally they recover quite well. I would go on what your vet tells and advises you to do. 14 is a grand age
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:28 AM
My old BT had a stroke at 12. He didn't really recover fully. Physically he did but mentally he became vacant, for want of a better word. Hard to explain without knowing him but he just lacked the thing that made him who he was. We had him put down a few months afterwards
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear your news xxxx

I've known dogs make a recovery, it will really depend on the seriousiness of the stroke etc.,

ATM I would go along with your vets advice and take it day by day.

positive vibes being sent from us xxxxxxx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
So sorry your dog is poorly. I agree with Young Stevie - like humans, depends on the severity of the stroke, etc. etc. I really hope she recovers and sending lots of dogsey vibes xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Very sorry to hear about your dog, and I know how worrying it must be.

Our last dog but one had a stroke at about the same age as yours, and eventually fully recovered and went on to live happily for another three years. He then suffered a catastrophic stroke.

Those three years between the two strokes were a wonderful bonus which we enjoyed to the full, and I do hope that you have the same experience.
Glitter
New Member!
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Hi,
thanks for your replies and really kind wishes and thoughts...we've never had a dog before that has had a stroke and it makes it easier to hear about other peoples stories.
The Vet just said to let her do her own thing - and to take her back next Monday....but she was hopeful that in 4 to 6 weeks she would improve, but I guess as you've all said it depends on the severity and her ability to recover.
She does seem less head bobbing and less wobbly today. She looked fightened last night....but seems a lot better this evening. She even got up when I came home tonight and brought me her chew.....her back legs haven't given way this evening...even though wagging her tail does throw her off balance ah bless her......so fingers crossed.
thanks again for the info and messages xx
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Awful time for you and I hope your dog gets better soon, as everyone else says it really depends on the severity but if she is already improving that looks good

Sending our wishes for her to be ok, let us know xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I had one collie who was out cold with a stroke for about 3 days, he just lay. The vet had come out but said that he could recover and he wasn't in pain.

So we let him be and he recovered and lived another 2 years. He was on a tilt and would head for one place and end up at another but I think his quality of life was OK----he actually came to junior kennel club camp about 3 weeks after and coped well.

I have had others have minor strokes (they are vestibular episodes really----different from human strokes).

Good luck.

rune
Woody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Our old dog had a vestibular attack and it was really scary. One minute fine then falling over. A big help was using a harness to get her around and make her feel more secure.

Woody
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >