Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Lambing in Scotland

Our lambing has now started.

I got back from Mull late yesterday afternoon and in the early evening went out to look at a ewe who had started lambing a little while earlier to check there weren't any probs. Thankfully she had a healthy lamb in tow and so I kept my distance and then went to check on the ponies.

Today we have unfortunately had four ewes go down with staggers and even though all four were given a jag, two have died We have also had the usual early run of the fine and healthy and then also the not so fine and dead lambs.

So, we are up and running. Should be a very busy six weeks or so - and would be wonderful if we could hold on to this fantastic weather!

Will get some pics when I go out on the afternoon run around the ewes shortly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Sad news. I know a farmer that uses mineral licks and puts them sporadically all across his land to try to prevent it, of course who "licks" and who doesnt cannot be controlled.
Oldies Club
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Ive been doing lambing work experience now for the last 5 weeks. Have absolutely loved it. I have so much respect for you guys! The amount of work you's put in is relentless.

What breed of sheep do you have?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Oops sorry thought i was signed in as myself. Wrote the above post from OC
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Oh no sorry to hear about the 2 ewes that have died fingers crossed for the others. Hope the rest of the laming goes smoothly.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sad news. I know a farmer that uses mineral licks and puts them sporadically all across his land to try to prevent it, of course who "licks" and who doesnt cannot be controlled.
We also give our ewes mineral licks, but unfortunately these ewes spend all year round on high heather moorland and are simply not used to being in-bye and eating grass. And one of the alpaca (who has been failing for a while) decided to give up the ghost and died yesterday too At least most of the lambs are coming slowly and with relative ease at the moment. Long may it continue. Of course, wherever you have livestock, you also have dead stock
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Oldies Club View Post
Ive been doing lambing work experience now for the last 5 weeks. Have absolutely loved it. I have so much respect for you guys! The amount of work you's put in is relentless.

What breed of sheep do you have?
Glad you have enjoyed your experience. It is one of the busiest times of year, but most shepherds seem to love it too

We have 2500 Scottish Blackface.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Oh no sorry to hear about the 2 ewes that have died fingers crossed for the others. Hope the rest of the laming goes smoothly.
Thanks MM - par for the course I'm afraid, but sad nonetheless.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I hope that the rest of the lambing goes as well as possible for you.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I hope that the rest of the lambing goes as well as possible for you.
Thanks Chaz. It is always a time of ups and downs, but hopefully more ups
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >