Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I keep hearing the comment "why should pet breeders not breed their pet dogs, when there's a demand ?"

WHERE is the demand ? because the last time I looked in all the freeads, Vet surgeries and the Internet, I have yet to see a WANTED advert, and more importantly, enough of these adverts to justify people breeding dogs for the sake of it

If there were a TRUE demand for your everyday 'pet dog' or mongrel/crossbreed, then there wouldnt be any Rescue centres in business, because they would all be empty, doesn't anyone understand that ???????

This country is full to the brim of unwanted dogs, many hundreds being euthanised DAILY because there are not enough homes for them because your average Joe down the street has a few mates that would happily take a few puppies off his hands when he breeds

And as for the comment of "as long as a Lab looks like a Lab, it doesn't matter"...................who is there to tell whether a Lab actually looks like the breed it should, and as I said before if it weren;t for people who show to keep Labs looking like labs to the breed standard, 'your friend' wouldn't be able to find the lab she wanted.

(you take 2 Labs of bad standard that have too many faults and breed them, then continue to do so from their puppies and then their puppies and so on and so on,.......what do you end up with ? A dog that looks nothing like a Lab

I would love all you anti-show, non-show people to actually go to a Championship show and have a real good look at the dogs in the ring, take pics if necessary and then decide whether the average pet dog actually looks like the breed it should be.
Well said Malady wish I had your way with words.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hmm, so you think that because there is a breed specific rescue, it is full of ex show or working dogs? 'fraid not.
Nope... never said that.... But I'd be very surprised if there are no dogs in rescue that were bred in the first place as show/working dogs.....

Anyway... no point going over old ground... I just recognise that there are more people who have dogs as pets with no intention to show or work and that if they are bred ethically and have suitable homes lined up they have as much right to breed as anyone else. Just giving my opinion, not slagging anyone or knocking anything
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Just for the record.... I'm not anti show... not anti anything infact. I love to see dogs do what they are happy doing. If thats in a showring great, in a field great. I'm always there to congradulate those of you who have shown your dogs and to comment on their pics etc..... But as I said, there are rescue centres full of all kinds of dogs from all kinds of back grounds.. and there are ethical and non ethical breeders of all kinds of dogs.. and each should be frowned upon or congradulated equally whether it's show dogs or pets.. thats all
Absolutely agree with everything you've said. There is good and bad in all areas of the canine world. Showing, breeding, dog ownership etc. What's the most important thing to me is the companionship I get from my dogs, the muddy walks second and anything else I do with my dogs on top is a bonus to them and me. The important thing regards breed or type is to have the right dog to fit your circumstances so that dog gets the best you can give it out of life.
In regards to breeding, firstly the question should be raised why do you want to breed a litter. There are very few responses which are justifiable. You could pick any breed or crossbreed and with some searching find the one you want in a rescue. Secondly, if it is done ethically, all health tests that can be done, are done and responsibility is taken to give your puppy owners the full support for that dogs life. Then that to me is being ethical. The big question that you must ask yourself is why you want a litter in the first place, what are your reasons.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Ian

Breeding ethically is fine and dandy, even if they are 'pet' breeders ! But as said previously, if all dogs were bred ethically whether they conformed to standard or not, what would they all end up looking like.

There is a reason for a breed standard and that is to keep THAT particular breed looking how it should and who do you have to thank for that ...............show/breeders, NOT pet breeders !

If show/breeders gave up tomorrow and only pet breeders took over, then what ? All these (ethically yes) badly conformed dogs who dont conform to standard or thereabouts.

Again, given a few years and NO breed will look like it should.

Not only that but what makes pet breeders qualified to choose which dogs are ok to breed from ? I have yet to meet a 'pet' breeder who has done enough research to know what hereditary or genetic problems their chosen breed has !

Ps Thanks Lovezois
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I am talking about Mrs Smith and her Golden bitch who is a beautiful, friendly bitch, of excellent health and temperament. Mrs Smith has owned dogs all her life and has alwasy fancied breeding. Many people comment on her dog...saying if she ever did have a litter please could she contact them and her friend and fellow dog walker has a suitable male. She is willing to provide aftercare etc and has homes for more pups than her bitch could have. Why not do it?????
(Mrs Smith obviously is a fictional and idealistic character of about 60.... ) The sort of pet breeder that you don't hear about much as they go about it quietly and without a fuss.
Max's breeder was just this kind of breeder (although nowhere near 60!).

She found homes for all the puppies before they were born, and ended up actually having to let 2 people down as 2 pups from the litter died in their first week.

Although Max's mum and dad have never been shown, they are lovely specimens of their breed. There are show winners in their lines (2 of Max's grandparents). All dogs had all the relevant breed health tests and were fully examined by a vet.

One of Max's litter is now a "show dog", the others, who are just as sound in health and temperament (sp?) are "just" pets. Max is a bit more of a working dog as we do Flyball and Obedience with him, but I didn't buy a dog to specifically do that with.

Max's breeder is planning on breeding again, as she already has a pup waiting list full. She has no interest in showing her dogs, but would rather concentrate on health etc than rosettes.

I couldn't care less if Max's mum and dad had won shows or not. I was looking for a friendly, healthy, sound Boxer puppy as a pet.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Max's breeder was just this kind of breeder (although nowhere near 60!).

She found homes for all the puppies before they were born, and ended up actually having to let 2 people down as 2 pups from the litter died in their first week.

Although Max's mum and dad have never been shown, they are lovely specimens of their breed. There are show winners in their lines (2 of Max's grandparents). All dogs had all the relevant breed health tests and were fully examined by a vet.

One of Max's litter is now a "show dog", the others, who are just as sound in health and temperament (sp?) are "just" pets. Max is a bit more of a working dog as we do Flyball and Obedience with him, but I didn't buy a dog to specifically do that with.

Max's breeder is planning on breeding again, as she already has a pup waiting list full. She has no interest in showing her dogs, but would rather concentrate on health etc than rosettes.

I couldn't care less if Max's mum and dad had won shows or not. I was looking for a friendly, healthy, sound Boxer puppy as a pet.

Ot's NOT about gaining rossettes

It's about keeping 'YOU' pet owners happy and making sure that when you go puppy shopping, you get a dog that looks like a Boxer, like a boxer should look.

Not only that, the fact that your dogs grandparents were show winners !!! does not make their grandchildren good enough to be called good specemins of the breed and as you are not a show person, or breed expert, or Judge, how do you know ?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Max is a bit more of a working dog as we do Flyball and Obedience with him, but I didn't buy a dog to specifically do that with.
Sorry but that is sport, not work. No relevance really to the thread, but just a bugbear of mine.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Ian

Breeding ethically is fine and dandy, even if they are 'pet' breeders ! But as said previously, if all dogs were bred ethically whether they conformed to standard or not, what would they all end up looking like.

There is a reason for a breed standard and that is to keep THAT particular breed looking how it should and who do you have to thank for that ...............show/breeders, NOT pet breeders !

If show/breeders gave up tomorrow and only pet breeders took over, then what ? All these (ethically yes) badly conformed dogs who dont conform to standard or thereabouts.

Again, given a few years and NO breed will look like it should.

Not only that but what makes pet breeders qualified to choose which dogs are ok to breed from ? I have yet to meet a 'pet' breeder who has done enough research to know what hereditary or genetic problems their chosen breed has !

Ps Thanks Lovezois
Where did I suggest anyone should give up? As I said earlier I'm not knocking anyone or anti anything. I simply said that those breeding for pets, provided they do so properly, should be given the same respect as show breeders. And for the record I don't show or breed (and don't intend to).. but I can assure you I have done all the research on my breed....and I'm perfectly aware of what hereditary/genetic problems my chosen breed could have.

pleased to meet ya
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
A lot of comments about dogs "not being up to standard" and that sort of thing... But as I said earlier... many dogs that fall short of the "standard" make fantastic pets, in many cases better than those who are of good "standard" ... So if all health checks etc are undertaken and the breeding is done ethically.. then why shouldn't someone breed for pets as opposed to show?

And the snobbery question wasn't directed at any individual... just the "show world" in general.... Because I've not seen any other argument against a decent, ethical breeder taking a litter of wanted pups for pets and not showing

Not being up to show standard can be anything from colour mismark, ear set not `right`, all sorts of purely aesthetic reasons which a judge would penalise for but which are not detrimental to the dog itself.
A breeder breeding for Show `quality` [ aiming for best possible health and conformation ], would sell pups not of Show quality as pets, [ which does`nt mean the dogs cant do other things of course ! ], therefore imo are already providing for the `pet market` anyway and there are more than enough of them breeding to still produce more dogs than there are homes for, [ some are more ethical in their practises than others of course ].

Logically, to have a hope of producing good healthy dogs, they have to be health tested for - their parents have to have been tested, theirs too, and so on. That means having a Pedigree which can be verified. Most having such Pedigrees tend to have come from carefully planned Show lines or carefully planned Working lines. And even with the most carefull genetic knowledge and application, what are the odds of every ethical breeder turning out a litter consisting of all or even half being Show `quality` ?
One exeptional pup perhaps, maybe even two, but generally more than that is pretty rare - that means all the other pups will be classed as `pet` quality.
The sad fact is, there are always more dogs needing homes than there are homes available. If breeding were restricted to only those with the most knowledge and expertise, numbers of homeless dogs would be slashed massively.
Do I think Show only people should be allowed to breed ? No.
As I have said I dont agree that all Breed Standards for the show ring are satisfactory for all breeds.
Do I think only those with the greatest knowledge of their breed, who do every health test under the sun should be allowed to breed ?
Yes.
Do I think people who like the look of a breed but don`t want the [ positive ], worky traits of that breed should be `catered` for ?
No.
If someone only wants a breed only for how it looks, and does`nt want that dog to have a spark of life in its eyes which comes from its breed traits, from the very essence of that breed, then I believe they should look for a different breed which already has the traits they want, not expect them to be bred out to suit.

Some comments in the thread seem to convey, [ unintentionally I`m sure ], that a rescue dog is always going to be `poor quality` or will have lots of problems.
From my pov, a rescue is the ideal place for people to choose a dog of their prefered breed because [ good ] rescues temperament test, health issues are often already apparent when present, and rescues always have purebreds in, so it takes the guess work out in terms of ` will the puppy I choose from a working breed turn out to be too much to handle even though they were bred to be `pet only` and the breeder did all the health tests but can`t possibly predict if a pup will have working/difficult breed traits or not just because the parents dont...

**Breeds originally bred to be dog aggressive for fighting do not come within `positive worky traits` therefore imo should never be strived for as something to keep in a breed to preserve its essence in that specific regard, but breeding that out is for the benefit of the dogs imo and not because of human personal preferences when considering what they look for in any breed.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 03:48 PM

If there were a TRUE demand for your everyday 'pet dog' or mongrel/crossbreed, then there wouldnt be any Rescue centres in business, because they would all be empty, doesn't anyone understand that ???????
Thats a bit sweeping, some of us do understand that hence some of the responses on the thread

I would love all you anti-show, non-show people to actually go to a Championship show and have a real good look at the dogs in the ring, take pics if necessary and then decide whether the average pet dog actually looks like the breed it should be.
I`m a non-show person, [ mine are all rescues ], and am anti-some breeds in the show ring which I consider to be unhealthy cariacatures, but who does believe that [ most ] breed standards are as they are for good reason - not sure how you would catagorise me regarding my understanding of the general breeding situation and what I consider ethical or not
Page 16 of 54 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »