View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2009, 04:56 PM
What you need to remember is ALL the breeds on your list can become dog aggressive for one reason or another... the least likely is the pointer..but they are large dogs, and reading inbetween your posts, I get the feeling you are a little unsure of large breeds.. you may like the look of them, but you also need to be confident around them, and I am not sure you are.

You are also thinking of getting another CC are you not, why not follow that route for now, see how it goes with the OH.. see if living together works out for you,

Then as you will be more than likely the primary carer, and you still BOTH wish for another dog..go for a breed you are more comfortable with.. maybe a smaller spaniel // a Brittany/Clumber or similar size dog.

And remember unless you can do the shows on two consecutive days, best to go for a breed that is usually on the same day as toys...Terriers may be a group to lok at... what about the Wheaten??? fab easy going medium sized breed,
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What you need to remember is ALL the breeds on your list can become dog aggressive for one reason or another... the least likely is the pointer..but they are large dogs, and reading inbetween your posts, I get the feeling you are a little unsure of large breeds.. you may like the look of them, but you also need to be confident around them, and I am not sure you are.

You are also thinking of getting another CC are you not, why not follow that route for now, see how it goes with the OH.. see if living together works out for you,

Then as you will be more than likely the primary carer, and you still BOTH wish for another dog..go for a breed you are more comfortable with.. maybe a smaller spaniel // a Brittany/Clumber or similar size dog.

And remember unless you can do the shows on two consecutive days, best to go for a breed that is usually on the same day as toys...Terriers may be a group to lok at... what about the Wheaten??? fab easy going medium sized breed,
yeah but the cc is my dog and he wants a big dog i think its the fact that i have my dog n he wants a breed that i didnt choose, or at least he gets a say in it. i dont mind going to shows 2 days i love doing it lol
im not rushing into it, theres no chance of that, just wondering what to do, im not scared of big dogs, just dont know how i would handle one if it got in a fight and i was on my own and that type of things. we take dogs out together when we are together (we take his mums 2 BCs with us) but its on my own im worried about
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I have two big dogs, both still growing. Rio is 14 months and is wonderful on the lead. I estimate she weighs between 35 and 40 kg. Dan is nine months and weighs loads more and he's a nightmare on the lead. I use a Mikki walk rite harness and I'm obviously working on his training but it is hard work. They are both however extremely easy going with other dogs. Not boisterous or aggressive in any way at all. I'm 5 ft 5 and weigh about 10 stone, so their combined weight is considerably heavier than me. I walk them both together though, and have walked them both with my Mum's late Collie Lottie without problems. If you are after a large breed, I would lean towards a molloser type because although they are bigger than the gundog types you mentioned, they do tend to be more laid back. The most difficult dog I ever worked with (on lead) when I was dog walking was a Springer Spaniel, because his centre of gravity was so low he had more pull than a taller dog. Why not have a look at some of the larger breeds when you go to LKA? Toys are on with Pastoral and Working this year aren't they? Failing that, Discover Dogs is a great way to meet lots of breeds in one day.

Good luck!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 05:54 PM
You say its the "big dog" thing..but if thats the case then why does he have a chinese crested too?

So this big dog would be in a house with your CC and his CC?? Two CC's and a big dog..You would have to separate them..
(I know you say that you separate yours from your Nan's but you are talking about when you get your OWN house..how do you know you will have room in your own house for 3 dogs..if you don't yet have a house?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yeah but the cc is my dog and he wants a big dog i think its the fact that i have my dog n he wants a breed that i didnt choose, or at least he gets a say in it. i dont mind going to shows 2 days i love doing it lol
im not rushing into it, theres no chance of that, just wondering what to do, im not scared of big dogs, just dont know how i would handle one if it got in a fight and i was on my own and that type of things. we take dogs out together when we are together (we take his mums 2 BCs with us) but its on my own im worried about
Seriously, do not worry about this type of thing. Actual full-on, 'proper' dog fights are rare. In the near 7 years of owning my current Lab, we have had a couple of scraps and he has been pinned twice by nasty dogs, but that is it. Nothing I would classify as a 'real' dog fight. These incidents are generally very rare and you shouldn't let it put you off.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I walk a combined weight of 70kg (3 dogs) and i'm 5'2".

My biggest is only 27kg but thats pure muscle on a very lean frame and believe me, to look at him he's a skinny thing but he's got such power that my OH finds him a challenge.

The breeds on your list are all very intelligent, very active but easy to train with the right method. Their size only becomes a problem if they arent properly trained, arent taught manners because then they use their size to their advantage. It's not about muscle power, it's about brain power and as long as you've got the upper hand there, size doesnt enter into it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
You say its the "big dog" thing..but if thats the case then why does he have a chinese crested too?

So this big dog would be in a house with your CC and his CC?? Two CC's and a big dog..You would have to separate them..
(I know you say that you separate yours from your Nan's but you are talking about when you get your OWN house..how do you know you will have room in your own house for 3 dogs..if you don't yet have a house?
he has a small dog because at the moment he lives in a pub so a big dog for him wasnt an option. he liked the CC because even though they are small they are quite big dog-like in attitude. we dont separate them by rooms in our house now, they each have their own crate (a bigger size than what they need) so even if we didnt have another room the dogs could still be separated.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
he has a small dog because at the moment he lives in a pub so a big dog for him wasnt an option. he liked the CC because even though they are small they are quite big dog-like in attitude. we dont separate them by rooms in our house now, they each have their own crate (a bigger size than what they need) so even if we didnt have another room the dogs could still be separated. :-)

Sorry, not sure what you mean, are you saying you would keep all dogs separated at all times in crates!!!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, not sure what you mean, are you saying you would keep all dogs separated at all times in crates!!!!
oh no! i mean when me or my nana goes out now and there is no one in then the dogs are put into their crates. they have bigger ones than they need so they have plenty of room. so if we had a bigger dog and went out then the smaller dogs would be in their crates, and the bigger dog would be in the same room, but not in a crate. does that make more sense? they wouldnt be separated all the time only when we werent there to watch whats going on.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5