Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I blame the Hollywood TV dog stars! Watching Rin Tin Tin and the GSD in Champion the Wonder Horse as a child made me a GSD fan for life.
It was K9, the lost boys (white GSD Thorn) and all dogs go to heaven that made me love GSD's. I still think they are amazing dogs and are on my list of dogs i want to own one day.
PoloPoodle
New Member!
Female 

26-10-2009, 09:27 AM
For me it was looks, temperament and the non shedding coat. I was initially after a Miniature but after seeing the majestic Standards at Crufts I decided on an SP .
Here's a photo of Polo
jones
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Sam was a cocker spaniel, we were asked if we would look after him for a months as he was due to be PTS (9 years old) hummm we had him for almost 7 years abd he broke our hearts when the fateful day came

Chole was mixed lucher/dobbie very elegant lass indeed, she was private rescues..

Maisey was SBT (red) we were looking for a companion for chole, and a colleague daughter just had pups, we went and took a look at them... We fell in love, charlie mum had no bones about us being near the pups they were only 1 week old, and Mason the dad just competely slobbered me, maisey fell alseep on OH foot... who could say no.

Jones, well he ticked all the box's...

I wanted a GSD (I will get one at some point) which my son sided with me... But OH doesn't like pedigee's he perfers the mixed breeds.. We had visited a couple of resuce centres and checked out GSD rescue, but hadn't seen anything that would suit... Then checking the web site there was Jones picture looking all GSD (exception his ears and his legs) we went to see him, all of us on the first visit..

We fell in love as they brought him out to see us...
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:09 AM
For me it was looks. I knew I wanted something big and hairy that would be protective of me and the kids when we went camping etc. so we were looking at Tibetan Mastiffs, Leos and Pyrenneans. I turned a corner at Crufts and came face to face with a row of Estrelas and immediately fell in love! I think if people are honest they pretty much always choose a dog that appeals to them physically.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:16 AM
My first criteria would be based on looks. I wouldnt own a breed I didnt like the look of, no matter how perfect the temperament was. TBH, there are more breeds I wouldnt own that would own, going purely on looks.

I didnt choose specifically to own collies, even though I have 2. Jed was chosen by my ex, Jessie was chosen because her personality fit the bill. After choosing a rescue based on looks and having that fail because the temperament caused friction, I was keen not to make the same mistake twice so breed didnt figure into that equation.

Flynn was chosen on looks firstly, then I did my homework about the rest.

I will always base purchasing a puppy on the breeds I like the look of, the rescues will be more about temperament.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:17 AM
For me it's the combination of looks, size and personality.
I really like long haired dogs, love Old English Sheepdog! But they are too big for my living conditions and sadly they don't live very long, so I had to look for a small, hairy and robust dog instead that ideally would not shed, would like long walks and would have a "character".
I had a friend in US who had a Coton and she introduced me to the breed and I fell in love! They are cute with long soft coat (white with big round black eyes), have loads of personality, fun to be around and, as they are a rare breed, they don't have as many hereditary health problems due to bad breeding and fairly long living. Now I want another one
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 01:18 PM
ive only ever had crossbreeds.

sam was for personality, he was such a gentle sweetie (he was gorgeous, but that wasnt the first thing to be taken into consideration)

and jake, got him from the sspca (same as sam) and there was only one litter in (we were getting a pup coz of my nieces and nephew, thought it would be better so he could be used to kids). he was gorgeous, but out of the litter i choose him for his personality... he was the cheeky excitable one and was totally gorgeous as well
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 01:20 PM
My breed was the result of she needed out of a bad home, and I wanted a dog, so we ended up with Jess.

It is strange as before Jess I would never have thought about a GSD (not that I didn't like them, it is a breed that just wouldn't have entered my head when looking), but now I have her, I would definately have another GSD.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I had vallhunds because I fell in love with their personality, my friend and I went to crufts one year with her mum and aunt, who both have labs, and as at the time i had a 4 month old rescue cross and she had a 10 year old bichon we weren't even thinking of getting a dog. The dogs we met on discover dogs were amazingly enthusastic about everything, the trouble was i didn't want a small dog. We did some research, went to see some dogs at home and relalised that the vallhund didn't actually think that it was a small dog (in a vallhund's eyes, they are at least a bit bigger than the largest dog in view). We were lucky enough to pick up our first puppy about 8 months after that.

When i was first showing her friends were showing their new puppy, a german spitz, from the off i really loved the character but was put off by the coat. though it turns out their coat is dead easy.

I admit I like the clean cut lines, prick ears and over the back tails you get with a spitz of any type, but i still think the breed's character and attitude comes first with me, there are spitz breeds i wouldn't own.
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 02:44 PM
We were going to get a mutt/crossbread and ended up with a lakeland.

Looking for a rescue limits you - we intended to just pick on personality as we are around kids alot but seen his lakie face and fell in love. Hoping he will pick up on some of our laid back attitude as he get a little older.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >