Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:11 PM

Routine??

Do you have a routine with your dog/s?

i dont have any routine with jake, and sometimes i really wish i did... do you think routine helps? if you have a routine. is it the same everyday? or does it change daily but you do the same thing each week on that day? if that makes sense
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:12 PM
i keep meaning to...just hasnt happened yet!!

In some ways i think its better not having a routine as the dogs dont hassle for anything as their not quite sure when their meant to get whatever it is they want.
I know some dogs do thrive on routine though...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
i keep meaning to...just hasnt happened yet!!

In some ways i think its better not having a routine as the dogs dont hassle for anything as their not quite sure when their meant to get whatever it is they want.
I know some dogs do thrive on routine though...
thats a good point, never thought of that. i guess if you have a routine, then if for whatever reason it has to change you could have big trouble on your hands...

luckily jake doesnt need routine he's as floaty-alongy as me
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2009, 08:16 PM
the routine of actions and events is great, as long as they arent always tied to the routine of time
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:19 PM
There are quite a few routines we have - some out of necessity, others have just evolved.

Largely I agree with GSDMad in that it can make things more difficult for you if/when you have to break the routine.

For example, because I work, I take the dogs out mon-fri every morning at 5.15 am. The trouble is, they get so into this that it is difficult to have a lie in at the weekend - its not so much the exercise, but they are used to having poos/pees at that time so I worry (because they don't ask to go out, so I don't know whether they need to go or not).
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:21 PM
we're pretty flexible here too. i like the fact that no one (meaning 2 dogs and 4 cats) hassle me for their food/walks etc because there is a rather large window in which these events happen.

i got some great advice on here a while back when i was stressing over making sure lily was walked and stimulated enough when i had to go to work and leave her.

i stopped the strict routine i had started, and i have reaped the benefits since!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:30 PM
lol, me and jake have no routine coz everyday is different so i just cant get into one.

mon, tue and wed im in college in the morning so jake gets taken out at 6amut the other days of the week he lets me know when he wants out, so i will walk him later on, about 10 - 11.

and i work 3 nights, 4 - 8 and every week the days i work change, so its just impossible to get into a routine when each week is so different, so jake gets walked whenever i get the time. he always gets 2 good walks a day though, but if im off work and college he gets 3 or 4...

and feeding has to work around all of that...
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
we're pretty flexible here too. i like the fact that no one (meaning 2 dogs and 4 cats) hassle me for their food/walks etc because there is a rather large window in which these events happen.

i got some great advice on here a while back when i was stressing over making sure lily was walked and stimulated enough when i had to go to work and leave her.

i stopped the strict routine i had started, and i have reaped the benefits since!
i was really shocked for a minute i was thinking of a large window that your dogs and cats go to for their "events"!! sorry i'm tired!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
i was really shocked for a minute i was thinking of a large window that your dogs and cats go to for their "events"!! sorry i'm tired!!
haha, that made me laugh
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 10:35 PM
No routine here. Luckily the dogs are really flexiable, having Foster children I can not have a routine.

The dogs seem to fit in around whatever is going on, they are relaxed and calm, so I guess they don't really care about routines
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >