Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
hi
i have one rescue(but not through a centre) and have fostered and rehomed.
my dogs are my life,i have worked with animals nearly 18years.but i do not fit the criteria for most rescue centres
so for me only three options really......
one...no dog
two...breeder
three...breed my own.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
In all honesty I do understand the idea that we should give homes to all the dogs that are already needing them...but surely that just helps out poor breeders...they always have an out? Surely we need to reward good breeding...surely to not ever have a pup from a decent and reputable breeder is just as bad...to not encourage those who set a good example?

I hate to do it...but it is like saying no one should have any children of their own until all the children in care throughout the world are settled in families of their own...it is unrealisitic and ultimately not really helpful.

Surely we should focus on educating people about good breeding paractices and explain how to source a good pup....as well as educating people that not all dogsa in rescue are damaged savage beasts that you can never trust.

Balance is the key here I think?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In all honesty I do understand the idea that we should give homes to all the dogs that are already needing them...but surely that just helps out poor breeders...they always have an out? Surely we need to reward good breeding...surely to not ever have a pup from a decent and reputable breeder is just as bad...to not encourage those who set a good example?

I hate to do it...but it is like saying no one should have any children of their own until all the children in care throughout the world are settled in families of their own...it is unrealisitic and ultimately not really helpful.

Surely we should focus on educating people about good breeding paractices and explain how to source a good pup....as well as educating people that not all dogsa in rescue are damaged savage beasts that you can never trust.

I totally agree with you, it is education.

On my breed specific forum they appeal to people not to buy B's from pet shops, they do because they feel sorry for the dogs. if there was no market for them the puppy farms would stop breeding them. They have a huge problem out there.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
nope, why?

i didnt consider a breeder, i never have
I just wondered, as you said something along the lines of,

i know too many people who want to breed purely for money.

I wondered, if the breeders themselfs had said that to you? or if you had heard it from others, or if you had visited breeders, asked questions on how there pups are raised and came to that conclusion from seeing breeders and there pups.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree with you. If good breeders are prepared to be there for the life of the dog then the dogs in rescue do not come from good breeders. It would be better to get rid of the poor breeders than avoid buying a puppy from a breeder that carries out all the relevant health tests and provides support whenever it is needed.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I agree with you. If good breeders are prepared to be there for the life of the dog then the dogs in rescue do not come from good breeders. It would be better to get rid of the poor breeders than avoid buying a puppy from a breeder that carries out all the relevant health tests and provides support whenever it is needed.
Excellent points by both Talassie and Ramble. The good breeders should be encouraged to breed healthy, happy and wanted puppies occasionally, whereas the bad breeders and puppy farmers should be avoided at all costs and put out of business. Education is definitely the key - but will it ever happen? Also, does everyone agree with the same criteria for a good breeder? I think probably not.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 04:18 PM

No sorry, Ailsa - you really can't compare dogs and kids in this instance. Children are not put to sleep if no-one wants them. Dogs are.

To remedy the whole situation needs for it to be dealt with on many levels. Yes to curtailing who breeds - and lots of people won't like it. Yes to having some form of ownership test - and many won't like it.
And you know what? It won't happen because no-one agrees. Even dog owners will fight amongst themselves as to what's best. Politicians will do what gets them votes.

In the meantime, I'll try and save a dog from dying that may otherwise be dead through no fault of its own. That's what my conscience demands.
And thank God I would never have to face that choice with a child.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Children are not put to sleep if no-one wants them. Dogs are.
The lucky children are fostered or adopted by people who care about them. The unlucky children frequently suffer mental, physical or sexual abuse from those who pretend to care. Often their spirit dies and never recovers. And this can be a sort of death.

I don't think there is an answer while people are prepared to buy from breeders who are in it to make a quick profit from disposable puppies. Of course it is the dogs that suffer and this is why it is so sad. But I still think we need to encourage the good breeders. If the people who know and care only go to rescues then what happens to the good breeders because there will always be a never ending number of dogs that need rescuing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
No sorry, Ailsa - you really can't compare dogs and kids in this instance. Children are not put to sleep if no-one wants them. Dogs are.
Children are not PTS, but since the advent of IVF/surrogacy etc plus the stigma of being a "single"parent is no longer so bad the number of adopted children has fallen, leaving so many unwanted children in long term foster homes & group homes until they are 16 & then are"booted out"to cope with life on their own

To remedy the whole situation needs for it to be dealt with on many levels. Yes to curtailing who breeds - and lots of people won't like it. Yes to having some form of ownership test - and many won't like it.
How would you choose who is to be allowed to breed puppies ? What criteria should be applied ? What breeds should be still bred ?

I do agree that before people obtain their first dog they should be "licensed" & not the dog

And you know what? It won't happen because no-one agrees. Even dog owners will fight amongst themselves as to what's best. Politicians will do what gets them votes.

Who says it won't ? As for dog owners "fighting"amongst themselves-where has this been reported ? do you mean on places like this forum ? It's not a doG given right to own a dog, it's a privilege to share one's life with them.

However stopping some breeds being bred or all breeds being bred until ALL dogs in rescues are rehomed will never happen, because there will always be irresponsible owners, who allow their bitches to get pregnant, whether on purpose or by negligence, who will sell puppies to other irresponsible owners & these puppies will end up in rescues.

In the meantime, I'll try and save a dog from dying that may otherwise be dead through no fault of its own. That's what my conscience demands.
And thank God I would never have to face that choice with a child.
I don't have a problem with other people preferring to rescue than buy from a responsible breeder, however remove the responsible breeders & the remaining breeders will still supply rescues with their products. However to insist that everyone rescues & no one buys from a breeder iis not logical or possible

For example no rescue(other than GSD one & one BC rescue I'm involved with)would let me have a dog, why because I have uncastrated males & that is a big no no with the vast majority of rescues
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But even the pet dogs you get from rescue will have come from a breeder!!

So were would we get any dogs from (be it recue or breeder), if they had not been bred!!
but its not about people not breeding, its about people breeding sensibly and having more restrictions to stop so many dogs going into rescues.

and not all dogs come from breeders, i dont care what anyone says unless the litter is planned the person is not a 'breeder'! jake didnt come from a breeder.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I just wondered, as you said something along the lines of,

I wondered, if the breeders themselfs had said that to you? or if you had heard it from others, or if you had visited breeders, asked questions on how there pups are raised and came to that conclusion from seeing breeders and there pups.
nah, it was nothing like that.

i just know a girl who is going to breed her shiz tsu (sp?), and she has told me its for money. she has repeatedly gone on about how much money she could make.

my boss is also planning on breeding his male bichon and is going to specifically get a female for this purpose... when i asked him about health tests, his response was 'what health tests?'... he knows nothing yet is getting a female... his reasoning is also for money.
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »