register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BWS
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

09-10-2009, 02:29 PM
for me it would only ever be a rescue they come in soooooooooo young nowadays we have had pups in at 10 weeks old the avarage age boxers seem to come to us now is under a year old so sad
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I do both, I have two very well bred Dobermanns from reputable breeders and 3 rehomes. I don't think it has to be an either or situation. When I take on a rehome I generally take the ones others dismiss because of their history etc. I love them all and treat them all the same, they all have the same rules etc. to follow and they are all a joy. Some dogs take a little more work but the rewards are sooo worth it. I never give up on any dog no matter what the issue.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
'While there are some, rescue one'
cant rem who said it but I am sticking to it
I doubt I would find a breeder who ticked all my boxes and I refuse to support a dodgy one

anyway, Ben was under 8 weeks when I got him and there were 4 other litters in dogs trust at the time

Unless you want to show - and if you do you would prob know a breeder anyway - then I really dont see a reason not to rescue - you can get any age of dog and any temprament to fit in with your lifestyle
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Unless you want to show - and if you do you would prob know a breeder anyway - then I really dont see a reason not to rescue - you can get any age of dog and any temprament to fit in with your lifestyle
i totally agree... rescues have so much choice nowadays, unfortunately...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
hi Lozzi, did you look at a few breeders dogs before getting your rescues?
nope, why?

i didnt consider a breeder, i never have
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
My current BC is a rescue. My next will come from a known ISDS line as I want a dog that I can trial. If I wanted another companion or potential stock dog i would go to a rescue but very probably a BC rescue.
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
I firmly believe the "until there's none, rescue one"

I agree with that sentiment entirely. But, are we doing enough to cure the problem as opposed to trying to cure the result? The ideal will be when there is no need for a rescue (never happen I know) but are we doing enough to reduce the number of dogs that need rescuing in the first place? I don't know: what do you think?
contridicting again...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I have had two rescues (of sorts, both were unwanted dogs) and have had three from pups from reputable breeders.

My next will definitely be a rescue from GSD Rescue. I was involved with them (and also BC rescue) when I lived in Lancaster and saw all sorts of fabulous dogs go through their hands. I now volunteer for GSD Rescue up here in Scotland and as I am more settled in my home life and am much more experienced with dogs, I feel I could possibly take on an oldie or two, or dogs with problems.

I do love the puppy stage though, and so will probably have another pedigree GSD pup at some point in the future.

My hubby's dogs are working sheepdogs and so he tends to either breed himself very occasionally or buy a pup from well sourced, well bred ISDS stock. He has had the odd rescue dog in the past though, and certainly wouldn't rule one out in the future if it could show potential as a decent working hill dog.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I will always strive to own more than one dog at any given time and they will be a mixture of rescue and from a breeder.

From a breeder you can select the specific dog that you hope will meet your requirements but owning a rescue is helping to save a soul.

For example, my next gundog will be a worker and so will be selected from a suitable breeder but a rescue will be a pet first and foremost, possibly being put to a sport or work if suitable.
lucy-h
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
My husband and I originally decided to get a rescue dog as our first dog. We fell in love with a boxer x stafford who was 1yr old called Wilf. He was absolutely gorgeous. After visiting him a few times, the rescue said they wanted a word with us. They'd had news (finally) from the previous owners saying he growled at their two-year old.

We were gutted. We needed a dog good with kids as there are a lot of babies/toddlers in the family. The rescue actually advised us to go get a puppy as it was the only sure way of finding a dog good with kids.

I wouldn't have had the knowledge then that I do now and it's a shame because Wilf was adorable.

Boris is a pedigree Stafford and we phoned a breed club and were interrogated to see if we were suitable before being given the name of a breeder. Boris' dad is a champion in his breed and his parents have had all health tests done. I love him to bits!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
nope, why?

i didnt consider a breeder, i never have
Thats your choice , but dont judge those who wish to buy from a breeder by your own requirements.. breed may not matter to you, but it may to others.

If someone wished to buy a dog/pup from a breeder and support the breeding of pedigree dogs, why is it is such a problem to some, against those who wish to choose a pedigree pup from a breeder.

Because it seems there is an undertone from a few who seem to condemn the practice of buying a pedigree from a breeder.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »